2017 Migration Reports

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mack Molloy, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I hunted this morning and the only thing good about it was the hot coffee. Left the ice eater running. I'll try again in the morning. It's starting to occur to me that I either really like duck hunting or im really dumb! Haven't figured out which one yet :scratch

i_willie12 likes this.
  2. duckdude101

duckdude101 New Member

Timber Hole - maybe you should sleep in and try a mid-day hunt tomorrow. Our best success this week has been 10:00 to 4:00. Tuesday the magic time was 2:00-4:00. When they decided it was time to leave the refuge, thousands flew over our spot going out to feed and we were able to convince a bag full to visit our spread.

3. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

Hunted the river this AM saw very few. Got back to truck 1/4 mile from river. Watched ducks come from the north non stop for 4 hours...They had there GPS destination already set tho....Gonna see if we can convince a few to drop down into dry corn in the AM...

4. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

We sat idle in the blind as the ice eater munched the 3-4 inch ice to pieces. Great open hole; then at 3:00 a switch flipped—- duck after duck after duck in formation rolling out of the refuge and on a mission....
    yup I do believe we witnessed the “Mass Exodus” today unfortunately.
    Pretty sad when there’s that much ice, and we have a 60-80 yard open circle wide open and can’t convince anything to pop in..
    yes I to believe GPS coordinates were set

5. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

Had a buddy go up to our farm today & he watched a mass migration of mallards headed south as well.

6. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

sure glad we had the split this year so we could watch ice form the last few days

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Going to be this way 90% of the time. I would have to dig back into the numbers they published but I think those numbers prove the extended week will be frozen most of the time. Like grandpa used to say, "no water no ducks".

cam likes this.
  8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

10 days ago, ya'll was blaming global warming on no ducks. Just part of hunting a "transient" state. I feel some of ya'll are probably thinking if there were more refuges now, you'd be killing more. Straddling the fence results in a swore a**.

DEADEYE likes this.
  9. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

No fence straddling by me...we should have left the North Zone season alone!

WHUP ! Hen and Sunklands like this.
  10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I can't imagine them not changing it back to the way it was for you guys. You ought to call'em and hopefully you'll get a female who works for the J.O.'s, to give you the run around and tell you that they'll be conducting another survey.