2017 NAFC!

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by EvanG, Jun 24, 2017.

1. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

NAFC Mully owned & handled by Randy Sprangler

Congratulations!

EvanG

P Frey and pintail2222 like this.
  2. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

What training program does he use???:joker

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. Mallard Mugger

Mallard Mugger Senior Refuge Member

I was trying to sneak a day or two to watch it but didn't make it. Congrats Mully and the Spangler family!

4. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

I trained and was a good friend with the former owner of Mully, Tom Kobach, before he passed away due to an untimely heart attack. Mully always showed great promise, even as a young dog. Tom and Randy were friends and Randy bought Mully from Tom around his second birthday. Tom actually bought a place near Randy's property as well as the Blackhawk Retriever Club, which also includes Curtis Kennels, Jack Unbehaun's and the Parrot's Lucyana property.
    Mully went on to his big dog training with Wayne Curtis.
    I am sure Tom is smiling his infectious smile right now!!
    Congrats to Randy and Mary Spangler as well as Mully and the whole Fox Hollow community.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I have found it quite enlightening to take the name of a top field trial competitor, "plug it in" to Entry Express's data base and observe just how challenging it is to become an NAFC retriever. According to Entry Express, "Mully" went to the line in 127 trials starting with a Derby in 2011.

I wonder how many miles "Mully" ran in training and testing over the last seven years? :tu

6. Mallard Mugger

And how many times has Mr. Spangler been to the line before achieving NAFC on a dog? Not saying it in a condescending manner, just as a commitment. I don't know Mr Spangler other than he has the most recent NAFC.

I watched my Dad and his buddies train, travel, and trial as I was growing up. They never achieved NAFC. Some made it to the Nat Am but none of his close friends ever finished it. That is a big commitment in time and money. From what I saw back then, that is practically your life. I sure respect the work (or money) these folks put into their dogs, but I have more going on than that.

7. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

That is why almost all of the successful trialers are retired or use a good pro. We spend about 20 hrs per week with a group, many more hours training alone and maintaining training property.

8. Mallard Mugger

Congrats Mr Stewart on Jones making it to the 2nd. Was that triple as tight as it looks in diagram?

9. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

There was an overlap in the area of the falls. There was zero room for error and it was dangerous to let them hunt. About half the field handled on that series. A national competition is not for the faint hearted.

10. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

My training partner ran her dog as a set-up dog for the week before the National as the judges were preparing the tests. The second series was initially going to be even tighter. The judges wanted the dogs to enter the water on the flyer!!