Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

2017 Quagga Mussel Issue

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by goosepond, Feb 17, 2017.

1. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

So everyone knew last year the impacts and potential issues with the Idaho Boat Inspections around the Preston Area. And this is just related to fishing, think of all the out of Staters coming into the state to hunt waterfowl on Idaho's waterways. Well it doesn't sound good state wide for anyone. The state is saying they don't have the money to keep the current program funded and looking like those of you out of state who bring your boats to Idaho to fish, may end up having one hell of a big price increase. May want to get your stickers early before it goes up. And who knows what will happen to the Idaho Stickers.

http://www.postregister.com/articles/ne ... ces-budget

I cant imagine what will happen in the Preston area this year with this on the board. They stopped so many from fishing great places last year with their high priced inspections locally, I can just see the canal companies totally just shutting down the boat fishing this year. And just wait till hunting season next fall.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The Preston inspection problem is the farmer/ irrigation canal company making another attempt to keep users off of the reservoirs,.. under the guise of protecting the irrigation system and waters.
    The canal company just found another way to keep users off of the water
    We have property on Glendale. Our watercraft , canoes, paddleboats and boat have to be pulled from the water , driven to the inspection site weekly even though they havent left the lake, some have been on the lake for over 30 years.
    If the boat isnt inspected by the canal company inspectors you dont get to go on the lake, When the grant money was gone users could not use the water. Other Idaho state inspection sites are not good enough.

The threat is real, but the county law is overreaching

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. goosepond

Totally agree with you on this one Salt. I attended one of the meetings in Preston last summer discussing this issue and not only is the County and Canal Company totally in cahoots on this but, the Franklin County Soil and Water Conservation District, a State/Federal agency is right in with them. I don't understand how and cant get an answer to it from them, but, having worked for a Fed Agency for over 30 years prior to my retirement years ago, if we had promoted things like this, we would have been fired. The Canal Company control, private property lake or not, is totally out of control. And, even though the F&G owns the property where the main boat ramp is at and used public monies to install the great access facilities, F&G's hands are tied and they cant or wont seem to do anything to break this a**in-nine rule up or take it away. I can sympathize with you as a land owner who lives on the reservoir and I don't get how they can make you do it if the watercraft aren't removed from the property. Just a money maker for the canal and FCSWD.

If we fight it, the canal company will shut it down totally and you wont be able to even put your boats anytime of the year.

4. salthunter

The canal company wants total control,.. Also Sour grapes since Bosemens Onida Narrows Dam got shot down.
    About the only thing the state can do is state and restate it is state water. My father in law was part of an investment group that as going to put in a small hydo plant from the Cub river Water. Working with the canal company( acquaintances and friends of my father-in law.) the state feds and power company were good to go. the canal company kept throwing up road blocks.
    The canal company took over. Years later 3.2 million into a $500,000 plant and its still not running
    Irrigation companies need to stick with irrigation.

Now granted water users have some concerns Salt lake wanting water and control of Bear lake

5. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

That's a true example of abuse of power. Making people remove boats that haven't left that water to be inspected is asinine. There are too many little empire builders - they get control of something and then feel the need to lord over it and make people bend to their will, rather than doing what's right.

Chase the money - that's what drives it.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I hope we don't get quagga up here. It's bad enough with the noxious weeds (Eurasian Watermilfoil) growing at an exponential pace over many of the waterways we boat on.

7. goosepond

So the Canal Companies, County Commissioners, City of Preston, Idaho F&G and some others met a couple weeks ago on this issue, and it isn't sounding to rosy on boat use of the reservoirs down that way this summer. It could affect everyone, but Salt, you may be high and dry even though you own property that touches Glendale waters. That would really suck. here are the notes from that meeting. I suggest pushing F&G on this since public funds are being used to stock the waters of these reservoirs and they own the property at the access of Glendale and some others for "Sportsman" access. Good luck

Attached Files:

8. salthunter

"Clair Bosen said that he was in support of the Bill to give another $2,000,000.00 to the Dept. of Ag."
    I said Boseman earlier,
    Its all about the money,..
    "the monetary help that they gave to Consolidated (CIC) last season" "their private reservoir;"

I think testing would have been easiest last fall
    I wonder how much damage musses would really do with a system that runs 4 months. Sadly the time will eventually come.
    Thanks