Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

2017 Spring Snow Goose Reports

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

I would head for sand lake the ducks love to play in the open channel formed by the river where the highway crosses.

2. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

I'd head West in 212, then fine tune the search. Or just go straight towards Aberdeen. Mallards & Sprig will be at the leading edge IMO...

3. Jamie4109

Jamie4109 New Member

Planning a trip to central South Dakota for this next weekend for snows. Any birds around after the snowfall? Hoping it melts by then. Anyone been out hunting in that area?

4. Birdsgalore

Birdsgalore New Member

Well somebody lost some birds due to this snap either SD or Iowa. Been more birds going south overhead yesterday then I seen go north all year. Started around 9:30 after snow flurries faded and hasn't stopped. East West no matter which way we look the sky is full. Feeds in excess of 30,000. Then seen one feed where they took up 3 separate quarter section fields at one time when all were down. One thing is how they act. Turns out These birds are definitely in search of open water. Circling every little frozen pothole they crossed before heading I'm assuming back towards the RWB area. It's go time now, and i just got few guys set up for this morning. I'm going to do some more scouting. Updates later.

5. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Which state are you in?

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Birds I've been watching here in SD have cleaned out 6 cornfields in the area they were feeding since Thursday night. Literally could not find a kernel of corn sunday afternoon in one field I was in. They all left the area yesterday, likely headed towards yankton or further south.

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Must be doing circles. Yesterday afternoon was rivers of geese heading north up the MO near tekamah.

8. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Lewis and Clark refroze Monday night. Most of the birds are concentrated in the chutes. The fields from Springfield to just west of Yankton were full of birds last night. Only a couple groups hunting that I could see. Going to be a big push north this weekend.

9. FAIRCHASE

FAIRCHASE Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the info. My outfitter thinks the same thing as you. Makes me feel this weekend could be good. Thanks

10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Got two separate reports from locals in two different areas that there was large numbers of juvies that showed up this weekend in NE Arkansas. I was supposed to go out to Central South Dakota this weekend but I'm leaning towards sitting it out and going the following three weekends in a row. There will be a big push north but probably mostly adults.