Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

2017 Spring Snow Goose Reports

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Mallard-mauler

Mallard-mauler New Member

I promise you that there are small roosts of Juvies scattered throughout South Dakota. I speak from experience because I have hunted them for the last week. We were putting on many miles looking everyday. Are there a ton of birds? No. But it only takes a couple thousand dumb birds to have a killer hunt. Hunt them like you would in the fall, find them, get permission, and set on them for the morning. I just left there and wish I could've stayed for another week. I'd rather hunt 3000 dumb geese then a million smart ones. The days of setting a spread on a hill and waiting for migrators are over but there are still birds to be had if you put in the windshield time.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    GK1 likes this.
  2. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Been hunting the past 3 days. 9, 70, and 45. No wind is getting pretty old but can't change the weather. The birds we have been shooting have worked amazing. Running a bunch of new prototype products which puts us at 14 callers in the spread.

Disagree with the post about there being lots of small pockets of juvies in South Dakota. We've had 5-7 vehicles out every afternoon and are lucky to find one group worth hunting by nightfall. Hunting the same birds 2 days in a row tomorrow if that gives indication on how few and far between they are. Doubt we will hunt Sunday. Will give it 3 or 4 days and see if any new birds show up. Been world's better this spring than the last 2 so can't complain one bit!

Those of you who guide I strongly suggest making it very clear to the landowner you're guiding on his/her ground in NE South Dakota. Had a guide tell us he had permission on the same field as us last night. After I was nice enough to try and work together to hunt the birds, he then buried his truck and trailer after clearly being told by the landowner not to drive into the field. After another long discussion we pretty much came to the conclusion he wasn't willing to hunt with us and there'd be two spreads in the field. Still, being the nice guy I am I drove to the farmers place and explained what happened and that I needed to borrow a tow rope or chain. Unfortunately for the guide he "forgot" to mention the guiding part to the landowner. I've never seen a farmer go from happy as can be to stone cold mad in a split second like that guy was. If you guide, that's great we have multiple guides as customers and we talk to a few quite frequently. You guiding on a field a freelance hunter also has permission on doesn't give you anymore right to hunt than him. A little bit of honesty goes a lot further than money still with most landowners. There is stand up guys that run guide services. Unfortunately there is more of the opposite in the spring. Not sure why snow goose hunting brings out the worst in some people. We are still out here to have fun, sometimes I wonder if that's the case with a lot of spring hunters.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    hyper23, wyfarrell and DaPutts like this.
  3. Mallard-mauler

Explain to me where I said lots anywhere in that previous post. I said scattered throughout South Dakota not lots anywhere.

4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

That's what it sounded like to me from reading your post. Sorry I didn't
    interpret it correctly!

We are done for the weekend, the hunting pressure on the few pockets that are around is worse than I've ever seen. 6+ spreads in a 2 mile radius of one pocket of birds. Sounded like everyone at least got some shooting this morning though.

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Take a plane ride once and you will find there are far more birds around then you think.

Mallard-mauler likes this.
  6. Mallard-mauler

Exactly!! It is a huge state and the birds are definitely scattered. But if you put on the miles and you scout the right areas you'll find them. They are not roosting on traditional lakes. And if you're scouting from paved roads you're not gonna see much. As far as the pressure goes. It is unreal. We were in the southern part of the state. Buddies are still pounding them.

7. Benelli

Benelli Senior Refuge Member

Hunted north east of rugby today. Covered alot of ground, a few small flocks around, nothing like last week. It's dwindling down for sure.

8. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

Worked about 8 bunches in SE Iowa yesterday. Just started killing many juvies this week.

9. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

Best day of the season.

GK1 likes this.
  10. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Got back home late last night from 5 days near the border had 3 good shoots and 1 just OK shoot. Again hunted solo with less than 400 decoys. Birds are in much smaller bunches but are decoying very good at times. Still haven't gotten big numbers of juvies so I'm sure more to come . Heading back up later in the week when I get some rest.