Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2018-2019 Plantation Bottoms'.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

7AF3339E-BBCD-4EF8-A91F-16AF966E6046.jpeg

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Aint that a fact! Andrew called me an hour or so ago. He was at the Bottoms' and wanted if we needed to get anything out of the equipment shed before it started taking on water. It needs to get about 8" more and it will be in the door. I reckon we're good. Nothing on the floor except decoys and the ice eater... Well, and a few rusty tools from the last flood in there.

Me & Maggs.........

3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning all -
    You know how we plow through life "keepin on keepin on" and not really thinking much or ponderin' about the tomorrows' and what our actions today can cause for the tomorrows in our future?? Well, we ought to do a little better job & think a little about that from time to time just to kinda stay on top of events that happen because of what we didn't think about whilst' we were going about our day to day rat killin'.

Just like 2 yrs ago when I got tired of watching that little cabin fall into sad state of affairs from no one caring about it. There it was, a nice little piece of history going by the wayside because of just not caring or laziness on the owners part. I kinda figured that he wasn't going to do anything with it but strike a match to it by the way he was standing outside his RV scratching his big ole pussle-gut of a belly one day as me & Maggs drove by heading to the marina to do some H.G.O.ing. His old log home had burned down a couple yrs prior and the only thing left was a garage & this little cabin. I turned around & went back to see him. I told him I hated to see his home destroyed & that I used to visit there a bunch when a friend of ours owned it. And, that our son used to play in the old cabin when he was 6 or 7 yrs old. Many Indians got kilted by the kids from that ole cabin. When I asked what he was going to do with it, he allowed as to his plans of re-building and using it.
    I knew that wasn't going to happen by looking at him. Anyways, that's when I should have been ponderin' the future instead of letting my mouth run away with "regret words". I asked for it to preserve "history" or something.. Then, a year later, danged if I didn't stop by again and do the same thing again! and again, he gave me the same answer as before. Well of course he did.... a week before Christmas and right in the middle of duck season, the phone rings and its ole pussle-gut. He says, Merry Christmas and remember me?? Do you still want the ole cabin he asked??? Huh, Huh, well sure I do! Then he says, its yours so come and get it now! What? Now?? Yep he says, I'm fixin' to build a new home and its in the way - so its got to go. After some beggin & pleadin', he gave me through the middle of Jan of this year. And still, aint nothing clicked in my head about the future, and besides, me & Maggs are in duck mode.. I tell the Missus' about our good fortune(never once thinking, yet again, about the consequences of my actions...) and she reacted quite fast! WHAT!!! YOU SAID WHAT!! IN THE MIDDLE OF DUCK SEASON AND A WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS?? WHERE IS YOUR HEAD??? STUPID DUCKS!! I thought it was a nice Christmas present for her(and I hadn't got anything for her yet anyway because of huntin'). Well, things were kinda quiet for a day or two then she says, just how do you plan on getting it here Mr Smarty pants? No problem, Im going to call my Cabin buddy, and tell him we got a project to do! That's kinda when she said to quit using the word "WE" in my talking to others.. Again, no problem! come Jan.7th(bout' 6 weeks ago) My bud says, lets do it! In he comes with his crew, 2 jacks and a bunch of blocks and wood scraps & a trlr and by the end of the day, we moved it to our home. The next day, it was jacked up off the trlr and down it went on a block foundation! There it is, home at last. See, no problem! There is the cabin as promised! Then the reality was kinda setting in with a little help from the Missus. Yep! There it is. Raining with more rain coming and this cabin has no roof! Did I mention January followed by February and still winter? She says, the day after duck season ends, why are you laying on the couch with that stinky dog at your feet? That cabin you had to have needs a bunch of work and it needs it now! So, with that being said, I have been working my fanny off trying to please the Missus' & living up to my stupid actions of the yesterdays'! I will say that my Missus' is a wonderful lady and a wonderful pardner' in everything, including things I drag home.

The cabin is coming along quite nicely but very labor intensive and materials are heavy. The floor is finished & joists are supported, the wiring is ready to be hooked up to the box, & yesterday we got the door worked in. Its a 100+ yr old cabin and you cant buy things to fit. Everything has to be hand made out of old wood to make it look original. At least we have some of that stuck back. We still got some chinking to do as some fell out during the move, and finally the roof needs to go on. Right now, its got a big tarp stretched over it. I need at least two dry days to put the roof on, and that's been tough to get. I got the materials on site & just waiting on the weather. Now, the muscles, back, arms, hands, knots on the noggin(from bumpin my head on the over-head joists), heel spurs, & all of the other parts of the body need to work together like they used to.
    Seems every part of my body thinks its the boss and it wants a day off, no matter what the other parts want.. Whew! I keep sayin' to myself, it aint that big and it aint that high off the ground, and you have done this in the past. You can do it but please think about what you are about to say before you say it in the future - PLEASE!!.

Here is the door we put on yesterday. That door has got to weigh around 75 to 80 pounds or more & aint no telling how many times I lifted it tryin to get it in the right place and to fit. Cut with the chain saw and try again, and again and again.
    [​IMG]

And of course, it was nose dripping cold yesterday and fixin' to rain and we are slipping around in the mud trying to get finished. My Missus' was right there beside me the whole time handing me this or that and holding the other end. It would not be possible to get it done with her or Maggie. Maggie you say?? Whats the dog got to do with this besides getting in the way. She pays attention to everything going on and lets us know when lunch time comes so no one misses it! Yesterday, I was standing around and trying to find my hammer. The Missus' says now whats wrong? I cant find my hammer and I know I put it down somewhere around here. Maggs is about 10 feet from me watching. Hey Maggs, go get my hammer! A moment or two later, I turn around and there she stands... Here it is boss!

[​IMG]

Now, she has been introduced to a hammer before but not much, but has heard the word many times before being around us. I would not be anything without smart womenfolk keeping me in the right direction!

Me & Maggs.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    JRS, Reelcranky and stevena198301 like this.
  4. Clayton

My wife would kill for that as her She Shed! I would much rather work on something like that as the inch worm belly crawling I am doing repair flexible duct under my old house. Could only find one person willing to do it and he wanted all the plumbing torn out of his way first. Then claimed all of it needed replacing and it would cost $3k. It is miserable work but not worth that much money!!!!

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Hi Clayton -
    Whew! I been there back in my earlier days for sure! Every winter I would have to crawl under our home(bout' 14" under the old log cedar joists about 50' to either repair a frozen pipe burst or fix it where I capped it off back in the winter. My son used to asked my wife when I would have to do that, Is this where Daddy says the ugly words?? They froze even when they were wrapped. It was miserable! At least the snakes aint out yet...

I got so mad one year when I was talking to our Farm Bureau agent in the spring and he was talking about all of the frozen pipes they had to pay for during the summer. I could have called a plumber & the insurance would have paid for it. I had no idea they would pay for that. I got all of them run inside now..

Me & Maggs........

6. Clayton

I had the same problem when I first moved into the house. Pipe wrapping fixed it. That was about 25 years ago and 50 lbs lighter. I need that person back to finish this job!!! LOL.

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Reminds me o a tee shirt I seen the other day. On the front it say:
    'OBX Fisherman'

On back it say:
    'I live with Danger, Fear, Stormy Seas and Violent Downbursts while being stalked by A Bloodthirsty Predator...
    But once a week I leave her and go fishing'

GUNNERX2 and Clayton like this.
  8. Clayton

Meanwhile in TN.

B7413D0B-DC43-4520-A15B-3C326AA570BD.jpeg

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

That fish gives me nightmares! Everytime the Bottoms floods big-time, there are 2 or 3 great big ole Carp that are always swimming around the gate at the equipment shed. They are always bumping the gate and it gives me the "willies" if I happen to be down there when it happens. BB - you should have bought that shirt...

Wednesday afternoon bout' 5pm, I get a call from my Bud that builds cabins. He says, Hey, you got that roof on yet for the Missus'? No sir, but that's next. He says, how bout' me & the fellas come over in the morning and give you a hand. It took me about 2 seconds to answer that one!! Heck yes! These boys are good at their craft and I am blessed to know them. When we took the old roof off, the ceiling joists were cedar posts about 7' long and in great condition. I kept them hoping to re-use them maybe when we rebuilt the cabin. I had a bunch of 2 x 6's I had thought about using for the joists because they would be much easier to work with if I was going to do it, which I had planned on next Monday when the rains stop. My bud says, you still got the cedar joists that came off of the cabin roof?? Yes sir! He says, lets use those cause it will look much better for the cabin and your Missus' will like it much better. Then he says, what about a ridge pole? I said well, I got a 16' 2x6 we can use. He says, why not take the chain saw and lets walk down on the creek and see if we can find a straight cedar tree about 6" in dia., and we did!! Great idea!

[​IMG]

I had a bunch of old metal that came off my barn several years ago, and we used that for the roof as we were going for "the look"! plus, there was nothing wrong with it except a little rusty & a few nail holes that I'll caulk. The weather folks were saying that the rains were going to move in around 4:30, and for onece they got it right! 4:30 it started raining and they had 2 more sheets of metal to put on - which they did..
    The roof is ON! FANTASTIC!

[​IMG]

Im planning on putting a porch & roof on the front and they said they would come back on Monday and knock that out for me also! I reckon they felt sorry for the Missus' to hold the other end for me and the time it would take us to do it. We sure hugged their necks for the help! Back a few years ago when they put our home and cabin in a book, we gave my bud a bunch of kuddo's along with his name & ph# for advertisement & I reckon it helped him out.

Anyway, the Missus' "Kitchen Cabin" ought to be completed by next Monday evening! Thank goodness!

Me & Maggs......

10. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Somebody done freed they Willie.

What kinda stories you reckon that ol cabin could tell?