2018 Farm Bill - Easements

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by nick b, Jan 2, 2018.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Congress will be discussing the 2018 Farm Bill soon (in fact, they already are in private, at least that is what I have read). I encourage everyone to take a few minutes to contact your Senators and House Rep and let them know you support increased acreage in conservation easement programs in the bill. Here is what I sent, feel free to modify it as you like. Nothing fancy, just lets them know that their constituents care about these programs.

If you're thinking "eh, whatever" - here is a stat from the USDA on duck production - CRP matters!

Prairie Pothole Ducks – Researchers from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that the CRP contributed to a net increase of about 2 million additional ducks per year (30 percent increase in duck production) since 1992 in North Dakota, South Dakota, and North- eastern Montana.

You can find your elected officials here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members

Hello <Senator/ Rep. XYZ>! I would like to express my support for the conservation easement programs that are funded via the Farm Bill. I am a duck, pheasant, small game and big game hunter. CRP and associated easement programs have made a huge difference in things like nest success for ducks and pheasant and there are also great environmental impacts from protecting these areas such as reduced nitrogen runoff. They are a shining example of what can be done when the government and private sector work hand in hand. Please advocate funding the programs to the fullest extent possible as discussions for the 2018 farm bill open so that we can do our part to ensure wildlife and wild places for generations to come. Thank you and best regards, <YOUR NAME HERE>.

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Should we ask congress to pass a tax increase to pay for this or just borrowing the money?

The_Duck_Master and Dale like this.
  3. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

We can earmark more money for conservation from the billions we save from money not sent overseas to countries that hate us.

If you, as a hand-wringing liberal (generic you), feel the need to continue to subsidize unwanted children and terror supporters, the IRS will gladly accept your donations above and beyond your tax liability.

dvegas, JP and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. Dale

Dale Senior Refuge Member

While my heart wants to support this our pocketbook says we need to basically get rid of all farming subsidies. Holding a gun to my head to help with CRP et al is beyond wrong. I'm not beating up farmers since I believe they have to play the game as it currently is set up but the Libertarian side of me says the government with all of its good intentions has once again messed up another industry.

5. nick b

Personally, I’d gladly pay an extra buck or two to help grow CRP.

CRP is not the same as crop insurance...CRP is not a subsidy.

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The mother of that child cares the same about CRP as you care for EBT, child tax credits, and section 8 housing. Someone will probably make a comment about how the country would be better off if we re-instated the policy of only white landowners being able to vote, but until that happens, everyone has an equal opinion. With that in mind, @theduckguru has a valid question.

7. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

LOL they don't care about those children. BTW this has nothing to do with "color". This is bottom rung "culture" issue and it is getting much worse. Many have their head buried in the sand for fear of offending.
    Not to hijack and back to topic. If my pocket is picked as a taxpayer I want it to be to something that benefits people of like mind. How any person that frequents this site could be against CRP, buffers, etc is beyond me. Don't give me the "we can't pay for it". Decide what's important and then demand it's funded.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

How do we stop tiling fields? That has more of a negative impact than the positives of crp? Plus they sort of compete against one another.

Tiling decreases infiltration and recharge of aquifers, increases run off (leading to flooding) and increases water velocity and therefore the water's ability to carry sediment.

I've seen more tile go in in the last three years than any time I can remember. More land clearing as well.

9. nick b

I’m by no means well versed in agricultural policy but it seems to me that if we didn’t have federal crop insurance that encourages reckless development of marginal land, we wouldn’t see so much tiling happening and would see more acres going into CRP.

The flip side of that is that commodity prices would almost definitely rise and our bread & milk would get more expensive. Tough sell.

smashdn likes this.
  10. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps if the federal govt stop subsidizing pretty much everything eaten or grown to be eaten, prices would be more reflective of actual market forces.
    When the govt gets involved, we pay on the front end or the back end, but either way, we usually end up paying more.

letmwurk and Dale like this.