2018 Farm Bill - Easements

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by nick b, Jan 2, 2018.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

What bill is this white landowner thing under? :dv

2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I do, too, except that is rate of growth and the numbers are still positive so buck is correct on this one. The population isn't declining and won't until we face an epidemic.

It's time for farm subsidies like CRP and ethanol to end.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

The zoning commission went against an overwhelming majority of citizens' wishes when they approved a new rock quarry to be constructed within eyesight of our city/county park. My guess is a combination of money talking and the construction company head who wanted it lawyering up heavily convinced them to approve.

It is quite an eyesore now from the park and loud. Plus there are dump trucks using a hilly county road. It also took out the woods I squirrel hunted in as a kid.

pintail2222 likes this.
  4. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

The will of the people is frequently ignored when zoning commissions, local/county/regional boards see dollar signs. It happens all the time. Ordinances and zoning are changed at the whim of those with the power to change them. I often wonder why there even such things as ordinances and development/building zones.

GUNNERX2 and stevena198301 like this.
  5. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

smashdn who owned the land and did the quarry meet zoning requirements?? See this all the time. People build then want land use to change on adjacent property. In reality the zoning board faces a bigger issue than what the community may want. That is the exposure for illegal taking of property or property rights! Even if they carry insurance the municipal is still going to take a significant hit costing tax payers a lot of money. So you are correct it is about the money!

So instead of barking about the quarry you should be thanking them for not getting into a legal battle that was going to cost a ton of tax dollars and be lost anyway!!!! Off topic and worthy of a discussion in another thread. But it is so easy to villanize them when you simply want what you want without having any real idea if it is legal to do it.

On topic, like it or not, we are and will continue to have a entitlement program called the Farm Bill. To much tied to it to go away. Front end rural voters and back end EBT users!

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

He owned the land. It was zoned A1 agricultural. I think the proposition was to change to industrial or light industrial. They also wanted to use a certain road but that got denied and now they use a residential rd for access.

I get the property rights thing completely and it is a tight rope act to maintain the balance between individual liberty on land that they own and how what is going on on that land impacts others. The traffic is one aspect. The appearance from our park, which is arguably the face of our community, and the noise are others. When they permitted the quarry they imposed time frames they could and could not operate. However, they operate outside of those times frequently.

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Smashdn, walmart decided to build another location 10 years ago. Entered into a purchase agreement pending approval by city.

City denied the permit to build voiding the sale. Reason being a new master plan was under development for zoning and land use.it was not adppted but was used in the denial. Walmart went across the avenue and made a new agreement and it was approved

Owner of the first property sued, and recently won a settlement for losses related to the no sale.

Long story short tax payers are on rhe hook because the city acted illegally in denying the sale. Took years to litigate and costs for the landowner legal fees are also added.
    This is why I made tge point. History likely sided on the landowners side.

I can give you numerous examples of these things occurring and all have that same theme as to why.

Friend owns two sections of land connected, has mineral rights on 3 of the 8 quarters.
    State had held the others from the 30s. 30 years ago a company in Florida bought the mineral rights. They wanted to extract gravel from it, county denied tge pit permit, lost as well.