2018 garden prep

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Feb 4, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Who's doing a garden this year? I didn’t do one last year due to moving into the new house and not yet being set up for it. This year, I’m doing a mater garden beside the house, and possibly a bigger garden out back, if I get to feeling froggy. That one would have peppers, corn, cucumbers, peas, etc.

Also adding to the muscadine collection out back. Had a couple die last year when the dogs figured out how to get into the chicken wire I had over them.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I just started a few seeds the other day, and got more ordered I need to get started. Trying some different stuff this year--atomic cherry tomatoes, galaxy black tomatos, heatless habaneros, Japanese cucumbers, etc. Now I gotta figure out where I'm gonna plant them all! I have a pretty small area I can plant, only about 20'x60'; the rest of the yard is just too shady or not practical.
    I need to redo my raised beds asap too; I've had better luck with them than in rows. Damn things are expensive to build though! I've bought 3-4 36" diameter galvanized fire rings and may just buy a bunch more of those; they're about a foot deep and the one I planted last year worked great. I need about 75 of them ideally, but at $40 a pop I don't think the boss is gonna sign off on that!

How many of you guys use raised beds vs ground rows?

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I gave $11 for 50 Primo Red Mater seeds... They are supposed to be big, early producers of big flavorful maters.

Gonna plant some clover seed in the yard to attract bees. I remember as a kid, you couldn't hardly walk barefoot in the yard without stepping on a bee... Hardly see them now and I think the garden suffers.

Ill start seed in mid March for planting after Derby Day.

Wish I had raised beds for early crops but my back yard stays pretty muddy even on dry years like this God Forsaken no backwater thus no ducks year....

callinfowl and por boy like this.
  4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

That's one of the reasons I do raised beds; the area I plant is a bit lower than the rest of the yard and will hold water when we get a good rain. Not bad, but just enough to screw up my garden.

I like the clover idea, I may implement that myself.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Those fire rings are a good idea! Boards rot and the dirt in my area is pretty expensive.

I would have kale, cabbage, spinach, brussel spouts etc if I had a bed or two.

6. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I moved last year also.....so had a small garden of late summer early fall veggies. My 10 year old grand daughter and I are test gardeners for North Dakota State UN. Extension Service. We will be testing carrots,beets, lettuce and sweet corn this year. We have a big garden planned for this year.

18 below zero here this morning. Blowing out the driveway after a couple inches of snow overnight. We don't start anything her until late March/early April.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah they're pricy but should last quite s while, and they're easy to move around between seasons if needed

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I have 5 big raised beds out back. Last year my garden was outstanding. Rhubarb, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, broccoli etc etc.
    Well, we had 2 puppies last year. Chocolate lab and a tea cup chihuahua which is half monkey, half kangaroo.
    Holy cow did they like vegetables more than we did. Came home one day and every carrot was dug up and gone. Spent awhile scooping orange chunky poop out the yard.
    Hopefully the puppy will be out of them this season.

Yesterday our local library had a free seed giveaway. Swung in thinking I’ll get a few packs. Wrong. I picked up over $100 worth of seeds. Giant bins full of every seed imaginable. Lady said don’t be shy, take as many as I could plant. We have enough for the next few years.
    I’ll get my starts going in march, and seeds in beds my May 1st

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

We can get going by late March, but I’ll wait until April.

Haven’t thought about it, but I may do raised beds. Gotta do the prep work either way.

10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

First thing I gotta do is put up a deer fence.

TheSchwartz and stevena198301 like this.