2018 Season Opener...how'd it treat ya?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by lucky_man, Nov 26, 2018.

1. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

Scratched out a hard limit Friday, went to another spot Saturday and got a goose egg, then another limit Sunday in another spot. Had the birds weekend before, but warm front moving in got them goofy I suppose. Sunday was the best day of the 3. When the sun broke from the clouds it was on, but birds still a little hard to work. Had better, had worse; all in all a good opening weekend.

2. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

It was tough in the south delta. There was water everywhere and had the few birds in the area real spread out. It was good to get back out, kill a few and work the dog. Looks like another warm weekend coming up. I don't have high expectations.

3. lucky_man

No doubt. It was hard but fun. And our pizz poor shooting didn't help the matter. Wish I was born rich instead of so good looking :no. That way I could have been off first of this week. Seems the weather is picking on us with it being good conditions during the week, then pitiful during the weekend. But can't pay the bills with ducks.

4. Rebranger

Rebranger New Member

Where are the ducks?
    I have hunted Beaver Dam and Flower Lake for 60 years. We didn't fire a shot all 3 days!

5. duck dawg

Man I wish I knew. I can only tell you where they aren't and that's where I was hunting last weekend. We saw more mosquitoes than ducks. This weather sure ain't doing us any favors!

Rebranger likes this.
  6. duck dawg

If I had to pay bills with ducks I'd been bankrupt a long time ago.

Rebranger likes this.
  7. lucky_man

No doubt. And weather this coming weekend isn't going to do us any favors either. But I'll be in the salt mine working Saturday anyway. Have to make them bucks to hunt them ducks.

8. Rebranger

Rebranger New Member

Well there sure isn't any Ducks and geese up around Tunica. Only place I saw any big flocks were over on the West side of Askew Refuge at Sara. looked like they were roosting in a bean/rice field next to the Refuge woods. There's an 80 in there that I believe Sam Allison owns.
    Saw a few small flocks around Prichard on Berry Farms
    Wonder if they are doing any good on Askew Refuge?

9. lucky_man

Best bet is get on the phone and call the officer over that area. Contact info should be listed on the site. They are usually pretty helpful.

10. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I killed 11 in 3 days in the greater Clarksdale metroplex, all in rice fields. Greys, pintails, widgeon, and spoonzilla. We saw VERY few trading ducks, most of those were Gadwalls, and not many white geese, either. I think we are still about 2 weeks out from the "tip of the spear" arriving. Usually we get white geese a week or two before "heavy" ducks. Any ducks I shoot this second weekend I will consider a gift from the duck gods to keep my pooches happy. Patience...…:)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Rebranger likes this.