20ga turkey build

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by skimerhorn, Feb 18, 2018.

1. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

I want to build a 20 ga turkey gun. I know people will think I'm crazy since I have a good 12 ga but I just want to try something different. Plus with all the new loads I'm sure it will be plenty good. I' thinking about a 870 just wanted to see what other people use

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Not crazy at all. Just get ‘em in a bit closer

3. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

With several of the new loads on the market, you don't even have to get them that much closer. I picked up a couple boxes of the new Federal TSS loads in number 9 shot this weekend. More pellets and better energy than lead 5's in a 3" 12 gauge.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

For 12 years my turkey gun has been a 20 gauge 870 youth model. In real killing numbers, it's as deadly as any 12 at 45 yards. I don't care to kill one past 40, so carrying the light gun is a benefit to me. Only issue is that I'm going to have to experiment for the third time now TSS replaced HW.

5. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

I' gonna put a shur shot stock on it and get a good choke. May drill and tap for a red dot?

6. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

What she'l and choke are you running now if you don' mind me asking

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Remington xtra-full and Federal HD #7. Before that was a Hevi-shot duck load they discontinued. Now they discontinued my second load.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If I were to build out a 20GA turkey gun (and I'm talking JUST for turkey), I'd want the following things on it:

Thumbhole stock (I know many don't like them, but for turkey, I do)
    Some sort of 1X optic or actual sights, not a bead on the end (EOTech would be my first choice if going with an optic, due to the circular reticle)
    A single shot with access to another shell, quickly (weight reduction as well as another level of difficulty)
    A short barrel with a tight choke (simply for added maneuverability)

Now, if you wanna get really challenging, one of the Circuit Judges in .410 could be a heckuva cool close range gun... I would be afraid to shoot past 30 with it, but what a cool little gun!

9. PharmHunter

PharmHunter New Member

Would never dream of going back to a 12 gauge for Turkeys. Been exclusively hunting with the 20 for 5 seasons now.
    My setup is a 870, Sumtoy Choke, Burris FFIII (the site you want**or Vortex Venom), and was shooting Fed HW #7's before loading tss for a couple years now. Of course those were DC'd but replaced with tss. Now of course it's available commercially, and makes all the sub gauges tremendous turkey gun options. The weight difference alone sold me a long time ago.
    Only change I'm making, is replacing my regular stock with a pistol grip this season.

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

CZ 20ga SxS. Factory IM and F. 26” barrels. Remington wingmaster HD 4s.

0730AC8C-5F7E-4989-A35C-2A7047C45377.jpeg

F9847442-C90C-4E1F-828D-49D56419FB0D.jpeg

Attached Files:

JP and stevena198301 like this.