20ga turkey build

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by skimerhorn, Feb 18, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

2. dmastin

dmastin Senior Refuge Member

I have been using a 20 for about 10 years now, and one thing I have noticed is when I shoot one it's Dead and no flopping around like a 12ga. Mabe it's just m. I shoot a Stoeger M3020 semi, weights just 5 lbs. I shoot the stock Extra Full with Federal 3" #6 Flight Control wads. Also have a Truglo Gobble Stopper dot sight on it.

Attached Files:

3. phutch30

phutch30 New Member

I tricked out a youth 870 last spring...I love it. I put a kicklite stock on it. Its light (bout 5lbs), and collapses down to 39".

Last yr I shot federal hevi weight 7s through it with great success. It accounted for 6 toms without a hiccup.

For this yr, I mounted a vortex venom, sumtoy mount and sight protector on it and put on cheek riser. Hand loading TSS #9s for this yr. Cant wait for the season to open

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    SB2MAG likes this.
  4. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

SB2MAG likes this.
  5. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

CD auto loader
    Jellyhead choke tube
    3" Hevi 13 1 1/4oz #6
    Williams Fire sights
    Excellant killing pattern at 40 yards but we set decoys at 25yards and hold shots to 35ish max.

Also use a Rossi 410 single with factory full barrel
    Optics
    Custom loaded Hevi 13 #6 shot

Max range is 20 yards but want them within 15 max.

Stump

6. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

My 20ga gobbler killer is a M1 Benelli, Sumtoy choke. It shoots Fed HW #7's and Hevi 13, #7's, awesome patterns at 40 and a little beyond. This gun handles like a feather, very light weight. If you go 20, you want go back to 12

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I agree with you on the thumbhole for a turkey gun, or even a pistol grip... There is no other hunting gun I would want such for, but for turkey hunting, I could see the benefit of a pistol grip or thumbhole...

As far as making things more challenging... Why the optics??? Granted, the furthest shot I have taken on a turkey is about 40 yards, but the only issue I have is controlling my own excitement and slowing down to take the shot... (i.e. breathing instead of hyperventilating)... As far as making things challenging, aren't optics cheating?

And... Although previous to last season, I made fun of anyone who missed a bird, last year I missed on my first shot (the bird was walking toward me uphill on my left side and the gun slipped off my knee alerting him)... The bird was walking through tall grass and only his bobbing head was visible when I shot (previously, I had a good look at him before he entered that tall grass)... Shot over the top on the first shot, and when he poked his head up for a second look, I did NOT make the same mistake... I would hate to work that hard for a bird and then kick myself the rest of the season, and was admittedly very glad to have a second opportunity on him.

Second shot is also good to finish off a poorly placed first shot and a wounded bird...

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

An EOTechs circle is the perfect 40 yard circle. I don’t necessarily need an optic. I just don’t like having to do the “Kentucky windage” thing like I do with my current gun. It shoots everything dead on the bead, except the turkey loads I use. The shoot a foot low. With an optic, I can adjust the POI to compensate, if that were to happen.

Squaller likes this.
  9. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

My 20 ga setup is a Beretta 390, 3" fed hw#7's thru a trulock hw#7 choke. Very deadly out to 40 yds. That's about the range I'm comfortable shooting one at, so that's fine with me. Also have a sx3 20 with the same load/choke combo, more than comfortable with that setup to 40 yds as well.

10. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

870 20ga for a turkey gun is a great choice. I watched one flop opening weekend for that setup with TSS #9s at 77 steps. So there is not really a need to get them any closer. In fact, the buddy that loaded the TSS for us said he's killed one farther than that with the 20.
    IMG_2245.JPG