21 Hyper

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Toby0987, May 9, 2005.

1. Toby0987

Toby0987 Senior Refuge Member

Looking at buying a 16x52 mod v boat. The boat is welded and is .100 thickness. The boat has a 21 Vanguard Hyperdrive with 3 hours on it. I'm not looking to break speed records, but will that motor give me enough power to get through the mud? I weigh 170 pounds and I have a 60 pound lab and probably 2 dozen decoys. Occasionally I will have another 200 pound guy with me. Any thoughts?

2. sandman7655

sandman7655 Elite Refuge Member

you wont get any tickets for speeding but it should push you well in the mud.
    if not you can change the gears to a lower set and push it better. :tu

3. DVR

DVR Elite Refuge Member

i sold a 21 hyper to a guy with a 1544 boat and he is very pleased with the performance.
    the rig (you are considering) will get the job done.

4. ArkieFarmer

ArkieFarmer Elite Refuge Member

Let me start by saying that I have no idea what conditions you are running.

This combo might be great for you and the area in which you live. Here, on the Arkansas river I don't think it would be a good idea. I ran a 1650 Xpress for a few years with a 30 Merc and it was pretty good. The combo you're talking about would be like a 15 or maybe my 20 Jet prop on the back of a boat the size of my old rig and I couldn't imagine it performing well. If you ran the rig as light as possible it might suffice, but I'm afraid you might end up wishing you had more motor. If the 21 didn't work out, and the deal is good enough, you might be able to swap the powerhead out for a larger Briggs -a 31 maybe.

I'm not saying the rig won't work -in fact it might be exactly what you need where you live. Will the seller let you give it a good test run before you plop down your heard earned cash? I'd definitely run it first. Get him to accompany you to the places you intend to run the rig and see how it performs. $$$ is hard to make and I'd be sure I was going to be satisfied with my purchase before spending any money.

Good luck! I hope it does great :tu

5. letshunt

letshunt Senior Refuge Member

I couldn't agree more. Take it out & see how the boat performs before you buy it.

6. DVR

DVR Elite Refuge Member

the person i mentioned tows the mudboat and uses it on trips less than 3 miles one way on shallow flats.

I think arkiefarmer is saying you can't have too much horsepower. I could not agree more. i have a 35 hyper on a 1644 and i would love 50hp+.

7. ArkieFarmer

ArkieFarmer Elite Refuge Member

DVR,
    Yup, that pretty much sums up my post. It's unusual to hear someone complain about having to much power. I've been in under powered boats and it stinks.

Hope it works out for ya Toby0987 :)