22 mag for varmints

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Call Turner, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

Just curious how many use a 22 mag for varmints and what is the farthest range you would use one.

2. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Firstly i have never owned a .22 magnum. Two people i know very well have had them, and they have been suprisingly effective from what i have seen up to red fox and wallaby.
    One was a laminated stocked m77 ruger this was a nice little rifle, but my mate was obsesed with shooting light 29grain bullets ccis i think they were, it had a fair wind drift with these bullets and 100 yards was about it on small stuff without it was a very still day and you may get a fw more yards.
    The other .22 magnum i have had experience of was a cz/brno 452, this rifle liked remington loads with the green balistic tips 40 grain i think they were, these were exeptional in this particular rifle.
    This gun fitted with an old redfield tracker 4 to 12 x40 scope would put every bullet in a 2 1/2 inch at 170 yards it was outstanding i thought for an out of the box .22 magnum rifle.
    I think you would have to be realistic about the ranges you use one of these at 100-130 yards is completely withing the capability of most out of the box rifles, and if you drop on a great match for that rifle as mark did, you will perhaps be able to stretch the effective range a few more yards.
    I dont know about those coyotes you boys get to shoot, not sure how tough they are but i think up to 100 yards a .22mag should get even those killed clean. But like i say i know nothing of those creatures myself.

3. WI SX2

WI SX2 Refuge Member

A few years ago I was searching for a rim fire varmint gun. The only experience I had was with a .22lr. A few hunting buddies used .22 mags. I wasn't impressed with the .22 mag. I did my research and went with the Ruger 77/17 and never looked back. Over the past ten years I have dispatched everything from woodchucks to coyotes. The furthest coyote kill was 165 yards. Most of my fox and coyotes are shot between 75 and 100 yards and are dropped in their tracks. I used to hunt raccoons with a .22 in my younger days and rarely were they done with one shot. This is not the case with a 17 hmr head shot. I enjoy this round so much I bought one for my son. Hope this helps with your decision.

4. EasternShoreGuy

EasternShoreGuy Refuge Member

Are you going to buy a 22mag or do you already have one? If you dont have one yet I would suggest a 17hmr. Much better trajectory in my opinion. Wind can be an issue on the lighter bullet but it does well otherwise

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

What the hell kind of coons do you guys have up there? :eek:

6. GHK

GHK Senior Refuge Member

I would also check out a 17wsm . Its
    a pretty good alternative to a 22mag and more punch then a regular .17hmr

I picked one up this year and love it. I've killed small to medium size pigs with it 100yards and under. I don't shoot many varmints to have anything else to compare it too. I've taken target shot well over 100yards though.

7. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

I love my .22 mag for varmints, mainly coons and woodchucks. Best $100 firearm I have ever bought! One shot kills with 40gr hollow points. I killed a big coon at 97 steps, and it went down hard. I keep mine set up with open sights cuz I'm only comfortable with its power out to 100yds. After that its .204 or .223 time.

8. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

Coyotes are tough customers and I won't shoot them with anything less than a centerfire weapon.

Shot placement is everything and the 22 Mag is a good cartridge, but for flatter trajectory (longer ranges) and hard hitting (one shot kills) I have yet to see any rimfire beat a Savage 17 Super Mag. It has 2 1/2 times more down range power (than a 17HMR) and 3000 fps with a 20gr. bullet in nickel sized groups at 100 yards.

Bowhunter57

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I bought a very early manufacture Winchester lever action in .22 mag. I loved that handy rife. I used in mostly for doing varmint control in vineyards. I made a lot of great shots with it. There are flatter shooting, newer small rounds but by my 9422 was a nice handling, smooth action, classic. Sadly it got stolen with all my other guns many years ago.

10. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

SX2, after shooting quite a few coons with my 22mag, I've yet to have one not die quickly with 1 30 grain vmax to the head. I would bet for coons and smaller 17 hmr and 22 mag would produce similar results at 100 yards, a little better trajectory with 17 hmr, little better in the wind with the bigger 22mag bullet. I use the 12 gauge or .22-250 for coyotes, and would be hesitant to trust the 22mag to be enough for coyotes in the open pastures I hunt