.223/22-250

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by duchunter, Mar 1, 2015.

1. duchunter

duchunter Elite Refuge Member

I recently acquired a Remington 700 varmint 22-250 with a 26" bull barrel. My mainstay for varmints has been my mossberg mvp predator with the 18" barrel in .223. Other then the obvious velocity differences, extra weight of the longer bull barrel, and a whole new caliber in the mix are there any reasons to pick up the 22-250 over the 223 for shots consistently under 150 yards on coyotes, foxes and the such?

I like the weight of the 223 and the barrel length has worked well for me so far. If I where to keep the 22-250 I would probably consider having the barrel cut down a few inches.

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

No, they shoot the same bullet, sub even 300 there isn't much reason to pick that 22-250, however, one reason would be very high winds, but sub 150, no reason.

Don't make the 22-250 your 223, instead I would go the other way. As you have the money, start building it. Buy a 1/7 twist brux, bartlein, Krieger, etc. Barrel, stay with a heavier profile like the rem varmint or medium Palma, keep it 26+ inches. Should run you $350-$450 depending upon the maker.

Then save up the $200-$500 to send it to a good smith, have them true up the action, chamber and install the new barrel.

Save up for a new stock, these can range from $200-$1300, but in the meantime the barreled action can go back into the factory stock.

Anyways, what this gun will now be is a fast twisted 22-250 and pushing the high ballistic coefficient 80 grainers and especially the 90 grain Berger will be nothing short of spectacular in ballistics. We're talking 1,000 yard capable coyote killer with small recoil.

Trade off being a barrel life of probably only 1,000 rounds.

But that would give you a good sub 300yd gun in your 223 and a great long range gun in the fast twisted 22-250.

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Certainly not an expert here since I just got interested this year, but if I had to tote around a 26" bull barrel in 10" of snow over hill and dale with my backpack, chair, etc....(just returned from doing that)..... I probably wouldn't like going as much. I am getting old however, so maybe that's not relevant to you. Since both guns shoot fast and accurate at 150 yds, and you're not firing off 30 shots in rapid succession, I'd simply pick the lightest to carry.

4. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

At sub 150 that's really it, pounds = pain.

Flip side to that is weight = stabile and stabile = accurate, that's why longer range shooters are usually huffing the heavier rigs.

If you really just don't have the need for a longer range option, well, you have the short range weapon, maybe sell the 22-250 and upgrade your glass. 22-250 will really just be tougher on the fur.

Most all my coyote hunting had been in north Dakota within an hour of Canada, often within a couple miles, I've always had the 13-15 lb rigs, did it by having a backpack that can hold it. Add your chair, decoy, calls, extra ammo, extra gloves so on and so on and a good backpack is a life saver,I use an eberlestock lodrag now, snow shoes were also a must have.

It is certainly tough, especially when you end up with a coyote or two to add to that weight.

You could also build the 22-250 into a lightweight custom rig as a replacement, it's just at sub 150 I don't see much of a reason.

5. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

I had a Mossberg bull barrel 22-250 Years ago. It was my groundhog gun. It was deadly and I killed alot of groundhogs out to 350 400 yards. It was a load to tote around but I was much younger then. I now use a AR in .223 for
    predators. I wouldn't cut the barrel, maybe dress it up some as suggested.

6. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

that I have been around are shooters. I loaded for a couple through the years and they are very good. I believe they are a 26 inch barrel, hard to find in most production guns. The triggers are usually livable. Try it your self, but don't cut it. If you need less weight, get a different gun.

7. Pasquan

Pasquan New Member

At >150 theres no need to switch for any reason...i have the same Rem 700 22-250 amd its not the funnest to carry around but its a nail driver

8. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Just saw this. Hope you didn't cut the barrel.... <150 there is no practical difference between 223 and 22-250. Your 22-250 is a long range set up. If anything, I'd either get a trigger job or a GOOD after market trigger on the 22-250. A good after market stock would be OK but not necessary unless you hunt in a lot of messy conditions.