23hp honda longtail on a 1552 weldbilt???

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by J_banda, Mar 1, 2018.

1. J_banda

J_banda New Member

Looking to use it with a longtail and an outboard in the summer for fishing. Boat is 340lbs 16" transom. Dont need a race boat but would like 15mph with guys and gear. Wondering if thatll happen on that hull.
    Thanks in advance.

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

It should get your desired speeds...what kind of longtail are you going to get

3. J_banda

J_banda New Member

It is an older beavertail i picked up on craigslist. New prop on the way now. But i just dont want to jump into buying another boat(already bought one that didnt work out for me and had to sell) and have it not work again. I just like a wider hull beings ill be takin out in the Chesapeake Bay in the summer.

4. J_banda

J_banda New Member

Want to be able to get up on plane as well with the longtail. Pods may be in the future i assume

Ringbill likes this.
  5. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

With that wide of a boat and pods...you may be able to upgrade to a 35hp.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. J_banda

J_banda New Member

I agree and in the future that is a very good possibility. But as of now without pods i was just wondering the performance with the 23hp and that hull. Had the motor and a worn prop on a 1648 alumacraft(riveted) with a guy and gear and hit 17-18 just hoping the width wont make performance drop. Ill probably pull the trigger. Cant beat the price of a weldbilt

Ringbill likes this.