.260 Nosler

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by quack0905, Mar 2, 2014.

1. quack0905

quack0905 Elite Refuge Member

Anybody own a gun or re-barreled a gun in this caliber? I'd like to talk.

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Only been around for a couple of weeks.

3. Ryhlee

Ryhlee Senior Refuge Member

We have read about it and it is an interesting idea. Putting that much powder behind such an efficient bullet should produce some awesome long range results. I've got a 6.5 Grendel and love it on the AR platform. But for an ultimate long range bolt gun with great BC sounds like an awesome option.

4. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I had a look at this when i first heard about them late last year. It looks to be just another fast 6.5, faster than the 264 winchester mag by roughly a hundred fps over the whole 6.5 range of projectiles. This will help some with long range hunting situations but just how much more over the ancient 264 ? I am not convinced being as the 264 had a reputation as a throat eater just how well this bigger case with more powder will be like, i suspect it will, be a throat eater to out do any other 6.5 so far, that's my opinion.
    Heavier bullets in 6,5 for long range yes it could have a place, but as a general hunter rifle the 6.5 /06 or 6.5 284 are a better compromise, and probably more practical.
    A good comparison to this round and the others i mentioned is what i found with the 7mms.
    Sure my STW 7mm is great with the 160/ 162s at long range, but realistically for everything less than this even for long range mountain tahr, the 7mm rem mag is a better choice, slower yes but good enough to get the job done. I found the same with the 22s the 224 middlestead was great, but i eventualy went back to the .22250, with the quarterbores i went up to a .257 weatherby but eventualy driffted back to the .2506. In sumary i think the. .260 nozler is too much for all but the long range 6.5 devote.

5. quack0905

If I could find any company that ever made a left-handed .264 I would consider it, but I don't believe anyone short of a custom gun. I shot right-handed bolts as a kid, but not any more. Most magnum cartridges are hard on barrel throats and - according to an article I read from Layne Simpson years - have a life expectancy of about 2500 rounds (in fairness to him Layne was specifically referring to one of his .220 Swifts). After cooking up a favorite load for the gun I will sight this gun in once annually (10-15 rounds max), and hunt with it once annually (1-2 shots max), so the barrel will likely outlive me.

Not in any hurry to do this 'cuz I have several high power guns that work just fine. I just wanted to make something different to pull out of the gun safe occasionally and admire as well as hunt with. :sp

6. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I shoot left hand too, so i know exactly where you are coming fron with this.
    i use tikkas lhs in two 22250 -2506 a remington x mcmilan x shilen barrel 7 STW LH. and a ruger 77 . 7mm rem mag lH. i have a 30 30 marlin leaver , and a 350 rem guide and a .22 brno in right hand I dont know why i bought the guide rifle a neat calibre but the left handednes right bolt in a full size i cant get used to it, its for sale right now.

7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I saw somewhere someone quoting Nosler as saying they expected to get 1000 rounds out of a barrel for the 260 Nosler. If that's the case, mere barrel break in could eat up 1/10th of your barrel life, with enough practice to be truly capable of taking advantage of that rifle's capabilities would eat up the other 9/10ths. ...but it'd be cool. :tu

8. quack0905

Very good point, which is why I'm considering something less throat-invasive, like maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor.

9. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Why not build yourself a 6.5 06, its right between two good rounds the .2506 and the .270W ;)

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I figure I can do 90% of whatever any souped 6.5 can do, and 110% of what I may actuallyneed to do, with a 7x57, 280AI, or even 30-06. 6.5s just haven't peaked my interest....yet.