Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

270 POI issue

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by MD, Nov 12, 2016.

1. MD

MD Senior Refuge Member

POI jumping six inches left?
    I have a 1950's Husqvarna Model 4100 in 270. I think it is a '57 It could be my favourite rifle except for one issue. It shoots inconsistently.

I have a matching rifle in 7x57 (1955) that shoots normally, that is; once sighted in, it maintains its zero.

The 7x57 has a free-floated barrel. For some reason, the 270's barrel is fit snug in the barrel channel. Tight in fact. Actually, the first time I tried to remove the barreled action from the stock I couldn't do it, it was so tight. I had it in to a 'smith for a slim recoil pad, trigger and safety work and then it was removeable.

Anyway, to shorten this tale, the last time I took the 270 to the range to sight it in after having the Leupold scope repaired (dropped it last year-long story) I had it group in nicely at 100 metres, about 2 inches high and centred, so then I tried three shots at 200 metres. I got a great group, barely 2 inches at 200 metres. That's good for me.

BUT- even though the group was at the correct elevation, pretty well level with the bull's eye of the target, it was six inches left.

I suspect that with the barrel tight in the fore-end of the stock that when the barrel warms up a bit, it expands and shoves itself against the wood, moving the barrel and thus the POI at 200 metres.

What do you think?

I'm no gunsmith or woodworker at all. How can I correct this anomaly?
    [​IMG] Edit Post [​IMG] Reply [​IMG] Reply With Quote [​IMG]

2. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

If you can, clean up the barrel channel a little bit to give more clearance. You should be able to slide a dollar bill under the barrel.

widgeon likes this.
  3. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

Free float and glass bed the barrel. Not hard at all. If that doesn't fix the problem you have binding and movement in the action which will need to be relieved and also glass bedded. It's been a long time since I did this (rem 700 270) but I'm pretty sure I got the glass bedding and instructions from Brownell's.

4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Also insure the scope is squared up with the bore.

5. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

Put new scope mounts on my dad's Model 99c in .308 this year and went yesterday to shoot it. Had the exact issue you describe....elevation perfect, hitting 6 inches left. Had the Left-Right adjustment maxed out.

Get home and telling the boy about it and he says, "Oh yeah, there was a shim in there when I took the old mounts off."

Going to replace the shim and hope to go back out and shoot after work today....hoping it fixes the issue. Good luck with yours.