Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

.270 v. 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by redfish76, Oct 3, 2002.

1. redfish76

redfish76 Elite Refuge Member

DFW, Texas (Home of the Fightin' Barnies)
    If I don't get the .270 wsm (see other thread) I am thinking about either a .270 or a 7mm Rem Mag.

Is there any practical difference between these two calibers? Will I notice a substantial difference in recoil with the 7mm?

2. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

from your other post i gather your requirements to be as follows:
    1. low recoil
    2. short range (under 300 yds)
    3. cheap and available ammo
    4.deer sized game
    5. hunt the brush

therefore this is my recomendation... . get the .270

You will see more recoil with the 7mm as it uses more powder to push a roughly equvilent bullet weights 300-400 fps faster, thus more recoil. another aspect of recoil is the shape and design of the stock some makes kick harder.

If you ever intend to shoot elk/bear sized game or shoot longer ranges, then look at a 7mm. Also you said you hunt brush and most magnums need 24" or longer barrels to make use of that larger powder charge, thus they are more of a pain in the brush. some guys love em, for me a brush gun is short and compact.

thsi is my opinion only btu it sounds like the .270 is a better choice for you.

3. marshrat

marshrat Senior Refuge Member

Falcon, Colorado, USA, formerly Wisconsin and Mich
    Smart man...I agree. I have a 7mm Rem Mag in a Winchester Model 70 with a 26" barrel...what a pain in the woods!

4. kenny870

kenny870 Senior Refuge Member

its kind of funny as my buddy and I both got our guns (his a .270 and I got a 7mm) at the same time and we are both doing basically what your doing. AND, we both love our guns. so either way, your money ahead.

With the Magnums, you gotta get the 26" barrel to utilize their capabilities. Like its been said, its a bitch in the brush.

If I weren't going to hunt elk, I'd have bought a .270 because of cheap ammo, low recoil, and its in a short action. But for that extra quarter ton of energy at 300 yards, I do love my 7 :D

ken

5. Coyodie

Coyodie Senior Refuge Member

take a look at the .270 weatherby. It outperforms both of the calibers that you are talking about. Its faster, flatter shooting, and hits harder than a 7mm with 150 grain bullets. I have used it for quite a while and love it.

I saw one at wal mart the other day for under $500 (synthetic stock).

Its a good caliber for deer sized game.

6. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

I've used the 270 on everything from fox to moose. There has been one constant, the critters all died! Although I hunt with rifles up to the 300 Mag & 45-70, I consider the 270 hard to beat as an all around medium game round. I wouldn't be without one...

7. kenny870

kenny870 Senior Refuge Member

Weatherby mag is a great round and I almost bought one until I looked at the local ammo selection and price:eek: One of the reasons I'd pick a 270 would be the cheap ammo, this kinda defeats the purpose. MY OPINION ONLY!!!

8. kjrice

kjrice Elite Refuge Member

Winchester Model 70 .270 is still a good gun!

9. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted over 16 years with a .270 and have had nothing but positive results with it. And i by my bullets at walmart, $11 a box, even cheaper if you reload! Plus i dont even have a recoil pad on my rifle and i can shoot a box through it and not be sore at the end, unlike lets say the 7mm! But, if you want something that is an all around caliber up to deer size, cheap ammo and such, check out a .243, alot of people under estimate this caliber, its very flat shooting and extremely potant, especially on coyotes and deer...........good luck on your descision!

10. merv

merv New Member

I agree with Tule on the .243. I have shot one for the last 10yrs. and have dropped a number of deer in the 150 to 200 yd range with 100gr bullets. But I am looking for something a little bigger, I'm thinking either a 7mm or 30.06, I can't decide.