.270 v. 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by redfish76, Oct 3, 2002.

1. No1Hunter

No1Hunter Elite Refuge Member

I am looking at a 270 for my son for deer and elk hunting and was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on a blue barrel/wood stock vs. a stainless steel/synthetic stock gun? Any problems. Can the game see the stainless easier?

Any opinions on a Ruger Mark II stainless steel in 270 for a 13 year old?

2. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

No1 i got that exact gun for myself at 13 years old and love it. I have never had a problem with it yet and it is very light. that goofy stock takes abit of getting used to the thin buttstock but it shoots great.

If your serious about it take a day to come over here and well go to the range and you can shoot it as can your son and see what you both think. I love mine and it is my pack in gun now as my 7 STW and 264 Mag and .338Mag get too heavy to pack all day up hills.

3. No1Hunter

MallardAddict

Thanks for the offer! Wish you lived a little closer. Anyway, I think I am going to pick one up for him at BiMart. They have $20.00 off right now and Ruger has a $40.00 rebate. They have changed the stock a little, it more like a traditional stock now.

Do you hunt elk with your 270? Seems like the posts here on the Refuge are split between it being large enough. A buddy of mine here has killer over a doz. elk with his but he moved up to a 7mm mag this year.

Thanks again!
    BobH

4. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

No1hunter.

I have killed 4 elk with my .270 prior to buyign batter gun. IT may noit be an isdeal round to lots of guys but it is ENOUGH when stoked with a good 150 gr bullet like the Partition and all my elk ran less then 20 yds and piled up fast and hard.

I myself being bigger now and with a deeper wallet own bigger guns for elk and bears but they are necessary for most stuff. Remeber old Mr Bell killed lots of elephants with a .257 roberts and he never crippled or lost one either.

5. muddydog

muddydog Moderator Moderator

in my best john laughlin voice...

WRONG.....neither is correct...

any big game cartridge with a bullet diameter of less than 30 caliber is in need of an increase of shall we say...cough..ENDOWEMENT..cough..

size does matter....especially elk...600-800 POUNDS...when they are ripe.

didnt keith call the .270 a damned adequate coyote rifle..

ooohhhhh..that is just harsh..

bullet mass...kills big animals..not velocity..

6. No1Hunter

Thanks everyone for your insight.

muddydog

So, I guess a Remington 7mm mag would not make the cut seeing how it is equal to a 27.5 cal. It was my understanding the 7mm was more of an elk gun than a deer gun due to the power.

Can you explain, assuming the bullet is nearly the same weight? I guess you are saying a 308 or 30 06 is better for elk than a 7mm mag because the bullet diameter is bigger.

Maybe I should get him a deer gun now and an elk gun in a year or two.

7. kenny870

kenny870 Senior Refuge Member

I have a firm belief that to have enough power to cleanly kill an elk, you have to have 2000 ft/lb of energy at that distance. If you look at the ballistics, a .270 with a partition bullet will knock the hell out of one at 200 yards but not past it. My 7mm will take care of it at 300 yards, well beyond the range I would ever take the shot.

This is just my beliefs. I know a guy who shot a 4x5 with a .243 at 200 yards and it piled up within another 50. Whatever works and whatever your comfortable, i guess........

ken

8. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

The key thing to bagging an elk, is the same key thing for deer, for bear, for whatever.

Shot placement!!!

You can use whatever cannon you want, or even a peashooter. If you don't place the bullet in the correct spot, it's a wounded animal.

The .270 is a good elk gun in capable hands. If a person can't shoot... then a larger caliber won't help, but practice will.

Also... Keith was a big bore nut. The .33 and .378 calibers were his favorites. And, don't forget, another of his tricks was long distance deer shooting with his handguns. Is the .44 Special (or Mag) a 400 yard deer gun. Keith thought so, but then he thought the .270 wasn't.

Bell used the 7mm Mauser for elephant in Africa. It was because of the surplus ammo. He used the 173 grain FMJ loads. That one's just a .284 diameter bullet.

9. Banded One

Banded One Elite Refuge Member

I bought a Rugar m77 a few years back in the 270 cal I only was only going to use it when I was on my 4 wheeler and way back in the woods and it was one of the less expensive guns .
    I have not pulled any of my other rifles out of my gun case since I put a var III leo. on top and that dude is a tack driver .
    I have killed some deer at 300 yards with it as well as some at 50 all fell less than 10 steps from where they were standing.
    I don't know if I just got lucky or if they make all of them that way out of the box but it has been a great gun for any price and shoots very tight groups with off the shelf ammo.
    As you can tell I would highly recomend both the gun and Cal.
    As for elk as some one else said hit them in the boiler room and you have no problem.

10. muddydog

muddydog Moderator Moderator

everyone should know i was just really kiddin about my remarks on a .270.

it WILL knock the crap out of a deer...and do a damn fine job at it..

with a skilled shot and hunter it will kill elk..maybe not very clean, but then again..i've seen elk shot with .338's that werent clean.

with 150 gr barnes or noslers it will do the job on elk..you just have to be very careful using it on large animals.

WOULD I USE ONE ON AN ELK..

only if a .30 caliber or larger gun wasnt available.

for game larger than deer...frontal mass diameter is directly proportional to shock. anyone who has shot elk..can attest to the amount of shock they can take and never leave their feet.

hence..

.300-338 mags are the norm on large game.

the other issue is it takes a hunter to get within a good shooting range..