.270 v. 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by redfish76, Oct 3, 2002.

1. trkyshootr

trkyshootr Senior Refuge Member

I think the above posts make clear that either round will work well. You've got two good choices which will perform on game very similarly. I reload for my .280, and there's no way I would trade it for a 7 Mag. Why burn all that extra powder? And, if you're a reloader, why mess with that darned belt? Ugly and useless.

2. TakeEm12

TakeEm12 Senior Refuge Member

the remington model 710 and 700 are both great guns that i have chambered in .270

3. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

You can kill just about anything with a small caliber rifle as long as your shot placement is good! As far as someone saying a 270. wont kill cleanly pass 200 yards, bull pucky, ive killed 250# boars at a range of 300+ yards with regular 130 grain softpoints. My dad has also killed mulies in Idaho at ranges of 400 to 600 yards, not that i would take that far of a shot, but he is alot more confident and accurate in his long distance shooting than i am!

I also proved people wrong around where i live by shooting 2 deer with a 22-250 at a distance of 200 yards, granted they both went somewhere around 30-50 yards from where i shot them, but all the same they both died with lung shots. As long as you are confident in your gun and have addiquet practice you can kill any animal in North America with a 270., with the right shot placement.

Now i am not saying im the stud guru of the shooting world by any means, i try to sneak within 200 yards or less with any rifle, just because i feel very comfortable at that distance, with any caliber from 22-250 to 300. ultra mag. Actually, i think one of the most deadly and under rated calibers is the 308. , very accurate and hard hitting........my two bits.......Jason

4. Outhouse

Outhouse Senior Refuge Member

I have both and the deer killed with the 270 are just as dead as those killed with the 7mag. Like both guns though. In killing power, you will not be able to tell any diff. The 7 probably has a bit more range but my shooting ability is not good enough to make use of this add'l range. You will not be sad that you bought either. The 270 ammo is a bit cheaper, the recoil a bit less and typically, the 270 will be a bit easier to carry.

5. Birdy

Birdy Refuge Member

muddydog - I don't agree with your comment "bullet mass...kills big animals..not velocity". Kenetic Energy that a slug hits an animal is one of the key factors in delivering a killing blow to it. The mass of the slug is only one of the variables that determines the Kenetic Energy that it hits the animal with. In fact, Velocity has a greater affect on Kenetic Energy of the slug hitting, than does Mass.

Kinetic Energy is given by: Ek = 1/2*mass*(velocity2)
    (that's velocity squared). As Mass increases the Kenetic Energy the slug hits with increases proportionally. However, as Velocity increases the Kenetic Energy the slug hits with increases exponentially. Therefore, Velocity has a far greater effect on how great much Kenetic Energy a slug hits an animal with than does Mass (weight of the slug).

(Formula found at http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/aceventura/mechan.html)

6. No1Hunter

No1Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Hey Birdy,

Remember, muddydog was talking about frontal mass, not just mass. It is interesting, around the cops have all turned in their 357 mags and 9mms for the good old 45. They all claim that slow heavy slug knocks the bad guys down, where the later just poke holes in them and they keep coming.

7. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

My 2 pennies worth,

I have a 270 and 7mm mag. I love 'em both. My 7 spends much more time in the woods than the 270. I personaly think that the 7 is a better all round cartridge. If you can afford to have a different rifle/caliber combo for each different hunting situation you may find yourself in, then by all means buy the 270. IF you occasionally get to hunt large game or need to shoot a bit farther than your were anticipating, a 7 is much more comforting to have.

The 7 is a little faster, a little flatter shooting, and can handle bigger bullets. Any one of these small variables can easily mean the difference between a freezer full of meat or a lifetime of regret. For me, I'll burn a little more powder, edure a little more recoil and in the end be left with alot more options.

I always go big when it comes to killing animals.

8. Birdy

Birdy Refuge Member

No1Hunter - You said, "It is interesting, around the cops have all turned in their 357 mags and 9mms for the good old 45." I don't know that "all cops" or even that most are switching back to the old 45. Maybe you know more than I do. Most I see in the cities here still are carrying 9mm.

Anyway, even if this is true, it's very difficult to compare these three loads and the types of firearms that fire them. Each has it’s advantages and disadvantages. No doubt the 45 has a significant knockdown power.

The original thread was talking about rifle ballistics and affects on big game. My point is that velocity does have a significant affect on energy that’s delivered to do internal damage and kill big game. Very few, if any loads, that are meant for No. American big game will knock down the animal because of the direct impact on the animal. It’s almost always the result of damage to major organs, broken bones that hold the animal up or brain/nerve destruction, which know them down to stay.

No doubt the mass of the slug also has a significant affect. It’s not a matter of going to the extreme of light slug and ultra high velocity vs. extreme heavy slug and slower velocity. It’s a matter of finding the best combination of both for the game species and distance.

9. No1Hunter

No1Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Actually, I meant to say, around here, most of the cops are going back to the 45 APC. I asked a few on several different occasions and they all gave me several reasons, two of which were universal:

The 45 knock them (the bad guys) off their feet when the 357 and 9mm drills holes through them and they keep coming.

The other was safety. The 357 and 9mm bounce all over the place and keep going long after the 45 has stopped.

I do wonder why you would use a slow, big caliber gun to shoot elephants and rhinos? Why not a skinny, super fast caliber? Look at a factory load for the 458 Win. Mag, 2150 ft/sec. and 4618 ft/lbs at the muzzle and the 7mm Rem. Ultra Mag, 3425 ft/sec and 3646 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Which is going to do a better job on a charging elephant or rhino?

I think a lot of people get catch up in this “must have the latest and greatest” without really finding the potential in what they all ready have. Any caliber, be it the newest 270, 7mm, 300 WSMs or the good old 30 06 and Win 270, will do the job if you know your gun and practice. All in all, there is not really much difference between these and other similar calibers if you hit the boiler room on the animal you are shooting at. If you miss the boiler room, it doesn’t matter what you are shooting.

You are right about "finding the best combination of both for the game species and distance." I would like to add. Get proficient with what you have and you will do much better than switching around all the time.

10. ugly BPS

ugly BPS Senior Refuge Member

The .270 Win will do for you what the 7mmMag will, with:

* cheaper shells
    * as accurate
    * less recoil
    * shorter bolt throw

My Remington BDL will put 5 factory 130 gr. Core Loks bullet into a 5/8th" group at 100 yards. That with a 7x scope.

It has killed half a dozen big elk and dozens of deer and antelope out to 400 yards. I use a premium 150 gr. Nosler or a Barnes X-Bullet for elk and standard 130 gr. for thinner skin game. Never lost an animal, never had one go further than 50 yards (many hit the ground hard where they stood), and never cut my nose on a recoiling scope!

Enjoy the search.