.270 v. 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by redfish76, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Sniper

Sniper Senior Refuge Member

SAKO .270! :D

2. scoutspaw

scoutspaw Guest

I hunted whitetails for 12 years with my 270 and killed 14 deer. No doubt it will do the job, but when I replaced that rifle I got a 30-06. The one and only reason for doing so was bullet weights available. I reload all my hunting and match ammo. The only deer size bullet weights available for the 270 are 130-140-150gr. Not much choice or difference there. Move to the 7mm or 30 cals and the choices grow much larger. For deer size game between 7mag and 270 i would go 270. a much more pleasant gun to shoot and to shoot well.:sp

3. faded deke

faded deke Senior Refuge Member

270 win. baby, yeah baby yeah!!

4. Whitenuckles

Whitenuckles Senior Refuge Member

I love my .270, its the best thing thats ever happened to me!!! :eek:

5. No1Hunter

No1Hunter Elite Refuge Member

I hope them whitenuckles aren't from gripping your barrel to tight. :eek: Your .270's barrel that is. :l

6. muddydog

muddydog Moderator Moderator

i just checked in to see what i missed..
    wow...

frontal mass..i truly believe is the secret to taking large animals clean. not only mass..

question..
    what is going to cause more shock..a spire tipped load or a flat nose.

the flat nose will cause a immediate transference of energy, none will be gradually introduced into the target.

this is why the grandaddy of them all cartridge- the 30-30 is such an outstanding animal harvester. it might not pack much punch..but..what it does pack is immediate.

high velocity loads..can either be great or poor depending on the bullet and the shot range. most bullets are calibrated for say,,75-100 yard game shots.
    bad things happen if you routinely shoot animals at say..10 yards.

the bullets ****ter on bone contact..i did have a pic of a 30-06 remington load that i shot a deer with in '86 at 12 yards and it failed to penetrate the rib cage!!. it stunned it..and knocked it down for the coup de'grace. we found around 10 bullet fragments all under the hide outside or in the actual rib bone.

there are numerous variables into bullets and cartidges and shooting game. it boils down to picking shots, being able to hunt and shoot effectively. alot of hunters are in reality **** poor shots..and some are great shooters, without any hunting skill.

7. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted with a 7 mag since 1972.

I have other rifles and calibers that I use in special situations (heavy brush, etc) however if I only had to pick from one I guess I would pick my bolt over my 06 auto only cuz of the confidence factor. For 30 years, not much has lived after I squeezed the trigger on that Weatherby Vanguard...

8. ARMallardSlayer

ARMallardSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I'd have to pick the 7MM over the 270.

It's not over-kill, you can load them with anything from 120 grain to 175 grain..........About 139 grain bullet would be just fine on deer sized animals..........175, might be overdoing it though.

Wanna be in between get the 270 mag they come out with......

I think my next rifle will be the 300WSM, I already have a 25.06, and a 30.06..........:D

9. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

Stop by the library and check out any book written by the late Jack O'Connor.....only one of greatest outdoorsmen of the 20th Century.....he shot the .270 in North America and Africa....but what do I know I only read his book on sheep hunting..