Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

2nd Season

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by slacktide, Dec 17, 2017.

1. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    So how did it go? Second season has started and no one really is commenting.

My favorite spot is still devoid of divers, so did not go for ducks... Friday morning dawned full of anticipation and excitement... Weather forecast was perfect, birds had been using the farm the previous days..

One group of hunters took the main pit and put out 100's of full body decoys.... I snuck off with my young lab to a corner of a field in a rarely hunted hedgerow blind. I put out 17 decoys... ( stuffers)

THe gees flew, but flew high and not even looking to land anywhere... perhaps this was the arriving new birds we all have always beggd for... at 10;00 the guys at the pit pulled their decoys without so much as one bird cupping their wings to the set up.. I had one small flock come in and leave one. I was joined by a fellow waterfowl hunter for comapny, we discussed that we would leave by noon or when the snow began falling... Just as the snow began we looked up and here they came... quick limit and out...

How did everyone else fair.... If we haven't received new birds I anticipate we will soon.

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

didn't make it outfor the second season until yesterday. we shot a nice mix bag of ducks and got one goose. even had some teal buzz in and I mean then buzzed in fast. Not even close to a 4 man limit but had a great time and enjoyed watching the dogs work. as cold as it was in morning in the low 20's it didn't feel all that cold until the winds picked up mid morning. didn't see quite the number of geese I was hopeful to see knowing some fresh birds came down this week. the large group of divers we had were gone Saturday with some setting on the west side of the river but not much flying at all but then again there wasn't one work, pleasure or hunting boat to go up or down the river.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

We were loaded with geese on water and in the field throughout the week and I could not get anyone in the club to join me. I bumped a lot of birds motoring into the blind.

Ended up with 8 mallards and four geese between two people. Geese acted weird, came off water went to the field they have been feeding in, circled a bunch acted confused and then went back right back to where they started from.

Fun morning as we shot mostly singles and left the bigger groups alone.

4. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

The worst late opener I have ever had. Hunted Saturday morning until the low tide sent me packing. I saw less than 50 ducks total and only 2 of them flew within a mile of my blind site.

5. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Well I will say...the geese showed in huge numbers and the Ducks came down....All I am saying. Looking forward to having the next 15days off and trying to wear my Browning out.

6. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

Location, location. The numbers of ducks and geese have definately increased in the last week in the areas I live and hunt. Now, if we can get some wind and lower temps....

Doug

7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Yea there’s a few ducks around where we hunt in mid lower shore but nothing crazy. Deff huntable numbers. Went to are go to spot n they just flew weird got a few shots but we were a little rusty. Got all the kinks worked out n ready for the last month. Looks like it’ll b a good month of gunning ahead of us.

8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

First group of cans behind house this morning. About 30. Stoney creek in Pasadena. Buddy’s been limiting on blue bills out front all week.