35 hp Vanguard Muffler Damage

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Mud_Slugger, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Mud_Slugger

Mud_Slugger Refuge Member

I have a 35hp Vanguard engine on a Mud Buddy Hyper Sport mud motor purchased Sept. 2006. The engine has 28 hours on it. I replaced the plugs with Champion RC12YC. I ran the boat 45 to 60 minutes, the engine ran fine. I took the boat out again and engine was running rough and finally would not run at all. Pulled the plugs and found both tips pushed closed with one plug having the electrode bent. Looking at the top of the piston I see what appear to be small peening marks on the piston in line with the plug tip.
    The plugs were gapped at 0.020? and installed with gaskets in place and torqued to 20ftlbs. The engine is governed to run at 4050 out of the water, runs at about 3850 in the water.
    After searching the internet I found an article written about the mufflers on these engines. The article described the muffler failing internally and debris passing into the combustion chamber. I also spoke with another Mud Buddy owner that had three mufflers fail.
    I removed my muffler after hearing a loose piece inside. I removed the muffler end cap and found the inner baffle?s welds had failed and six small BB sized pieces loose inside. I have concluded the debris caused the plug tips to be closed. I have not examined the cylinder walls for scoring, so am unsure of the extent of damage to the engine.
    I believe both Briggs & Stratton and Mud Buddy are aware of this problem and have done nothing to remedy the situation.
    I would expect Briggs & Stratton or Mud Buddy to warrant this muffler with a suitable replacement which is not of the same design and construction. These mufflers should be recalled before someone gets in serious trouble on the water with an engine that does not run.
    Attached are photos of the debris and damaged baffles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg189/mud_slugger/mufflergjk4.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. deadbird8

deadbird8 Elite Refuge Member

Thats a Briggs part- the motor was warrantied for 2 years (including the muffler). All the vertical motors (GT, GD, MB) are susceptible to the stock muffler dropping slag in the cylinders. That is why there is such a market for aftermarket mufflers. (BPS, Marshmellow, EVT, Hopkins, and Gecker just came out with one). When the baffles go, you are at risk. Sorry it happened to you but its not new.

MB will sell you a new Briggs muffler for $65 shipped with gaskets (about 1/2 of what Briggs would charge). I would spend the money to get an aftermarket stainless muffler.

Also- you plug gap is too tight for this application. Gap them 0.35 and Autolite AP3923's are recommended. Its a cooler plug and with the gap, helps with backfiring which can tear apart a stock muffler.

I recently helped get a motor going that had a similar problem as yours (plugs getting hammered). Here is the little gift the blown stock muffler left in the cylinder as well as a 1/2 dime sized piece on top of the exhaust valve in the head. The guy was lucky, the cylinder walls were not scarred badly (a few scratches) and it runs fine now.

[​IMG]

We couldn't get it out with a magnet (you could try raising the cylinder to TDC and tilting the motor around with a strong magnet in the plug hole to see what you can get out). I would personnally pull the heads and inspect the cylinder walls. If its not bad, then just clean it out and put it back together. A top end gasket kit is $34 (heads, intakes, valve covers, ...)- call Boat Dr (504) 737-1203, he will probably ship them out tomorrow.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Those Briggs mufflers have been junk for years. I have had a couple replaced under warranty on various mud motors that I have owned.

I would take that thing down to your closest authorized Briggs and Stratton service center and ask for warranty replacement of the muffler and also warranty repair of the collateral damage that it's failure caused. Hopefully you haven't somehow voided the warranty by pulling the motor apart yourself.

Deadbird is correct that the market for aftermarket mufflers is so robust partly because the Briggs muffler is so bad. Unfortunately, this motor in it's horizontal and vertical configuration has become the top pick for a large block powerhead by all four major mud motor companies.

4. The Pintailman

The Pintailman Elite Refuge Member

You should always run Your muffler below the engine. Problem solved. :dv

[​IMG]

5. deadbird8

deadbird8 Elite Refuge Member

If its an 06 motor, good luck with the warranty replacement from Briggs.

And as Yentzen pointed out, the PD does not have the problem because the slag stays in the muffler.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Sorry Deadbird, I didn't see the part about the motor being 3 years old. Our friend here is absolutely on his own on this one.

Count me also among the folks who have switched to the muffler under the motor. :tu

7. furduknfish

furduknfish Senior Refuge Member

Until you break your drive shaft. :dv

Hope you don't have too much damage. Try and post some pics of the cylinderwalls with the heads pulled. Maybe DB8 can tell you how bad it is... Save your money and buy an aftermarket exhaust. Check out the mudmarket on MB forums. I think there is a used set of dual for sale at decent price.

8. glider

glider Senior Refuge Member

How do you like the remote steering? What kind is it hydraulic or teleflex? Does steer well? How hard is it to navigate in tight situations?

9. river mallard

river mallard Elite Refuge Member

Had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago. We had to tear the motor down to check for damage. Put new rings in and pulled all the scrap chunks of muffler out of the motor and I was good to go. I would never run anther stock muffler again!!! The motors just vibrate too much and make them fall apart after time. Be sure to dig into that motor and get all the muffler chunks out before heading back out. ...

10. sandman7655

sandman7655 Elite Refuge Member

stock mufflers are junk.briggs knows it .upgrade to stainless exhaust.