Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

4000 nonresidents

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by baker aka goosenut, Jul 15, 2007.

1. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

I saw somewhere where slightly over 4000 nonresidents hunted in alberta in 2006. Wow i cant beleive why all the animosity towards americans and only like 200 people bought more then the 1 six day license. These numbers seem real low to me because with all the belly aching of how americans are ruining canada Its hard to beleive the real motive in all actions to change the law. Hard to beleive that you have over 400 licensed outfitters and only 4000 hunters that 10 hunters per season if all the 4000 used a outfitter. So who has a real number on all this cause these numbers seem alittle wrong.

2. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

This animosity towards Americans is all in your imagination. You have a persecution complex along with SOME of your american brothers who think they should have the same rights as a resident. Take 5 seconds put the shoe on the other foot and tell me how you'd feel if you had 4000 people invade your hunting area every fall puting pressure on spots that your family has hunted for years. Also I might be mistaken but I'm sure Manitoba and Sask get a bit chunk of the non residents as well. Post a link to the numbers. Was the 6 day license even law last fall?

3. Specklr

Specklr Senior Refuge Member

havenhunter, I am by no means taking any side in this but, I have over 4000 nons hit just one corner of my state of Missouri every spring in just under a month. And most do not use an outfitter :eek: I have never had anyone in Canada give me any problems so I am one of those that does not feel the persecution except from the guides that want to sleep in until 5 and show up to field we have gain permission on the night before.:fp

4. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Haven I havent been to canada since 2000 but plan on going this year. I have nothing but good experinces over the years i have gone. But it seems that a push to limit what a nonresident can do up there is taking place. My question is with only 4000 nonresidents hunting a province like alberta why the big push to limit us to 6 days of hunting. And also why do residents get to shoot more specks then nonresidents. This is the only place i have seen such nonsense. If the speck pop can sustain a 5 bird limit it should be across the board for all. Every place in the world has outsiders who come to hunt. In my state i cant get a deer tag very easy does this mean i should get 2 because the out of states can come and get a tag.:fp :rolleyes: You guys in canada dont know how good you have it up there i understand you wanna keep it that way.:tu

5. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/harvest/ghd_e.cfm

Non residents kill proportionally many more birds than residents do. Of those 400 licensed outfitters only a small portion actually guide for waterfowl. Most are big game outfitters with a game bird license that they rarely if ever use. As blackfoot has stated previously, Alberta is beginning to cut down on the number of outfitters and is restricting them to specific zones.

Specklr, what you describe in Missouri is exactly what we are trying to prevent in Western Canada (it's already happened in parts of the east). Using the argument that we should be happy with what we have because you guys have it so much worse is a bad talking point. We have it good, want to keep it that way, and are beginning to see some of the "big money" waterfowl problems seeping into our areas. That worries us so we have convinced our legislators to do something about it. Since we are allowed to vote for them, they listen to our opinions over those of foreigners.

baker, any animosity from Canadians seems to be only directed to those non-residents who feel it is their God-given right to hunt here. It is not. Non-resident freelancers rank as the absolute lowest priority on the allocation of any wildlife resource -- and not just figuratively. There is an actual list of stakeholders in order of priority for licenses, tags, etc. and NR's are at the bottom of it. I can buy up to eight deer tags over the counter. You can buy two. I can shoot does but you are not allowed to. You can live with that ... or not.

6. Specklr

Specklr Senior Refuge Member

sjemac ,
    I never said I had it worse or was in anyway upset by the number of non reses. coming in to my state! so do not even go there, OK. I under stand that is just the way it is and no matter what anyone says it helps the local economy by adding revenue in the form of taxes -state , local as well as our Federal government it also brings in money to restaurants , hotels , bars, gas stations and even the farmers and it trickles down to the employees that in turn spend money in that same area making car payments and buying food and homes. Your (AB) is just luckier than the other areas because you (AB)has oil that Sask and the others don't so that influx of revenue it not needed as much, maybe?

Now it's your country and have at it OK ,it makes no difference to me one way or the other. With all of our non res hunters I have seen little or no difference as to what you call the BIG MONEY, I have never been turned down to the point that I can not get out and hunt anywhere in Missouri, which in much smaller that any one of your provinces in Canada. Remember some times that rotting smell that is seeping is coming from the bottom of the barrel because it has stayed the same so long is is no good any more.

Now as far as reses having a higher limit well you know that is really BS but again it your country do what you want no skin off of my back.

7. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

OK:tu

8. cackler69

cackler69 Elite Refuge Member

I think a 6 day license for a non -res is fair, I went to sask for my first time last year, Our group did not kill alot of birds, but we did have a blast, I have never seen so many friendly people, I can't wait til I'm able to go and visit again... Everybody must remember that is Their BACKYARD....

9. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

We go to Canada every year and freelance. I've met the nicest people up there and we have been treated very well. And i also think the six day license for nonresidents is very fair. By are third day hunting we are usually full up on birds. We don't go to Canada to kill everything that flys. We go up there for the trip and to have a great time. Every year i find myself shooting more video than pulling the trigger. So i just want to say thanks for letting us Americans have the privilege to visit your great Country

10. greenheadcase

greenheadcase Elite Refuge Member

I also want to thank all the gracious canadians for showing me a good time when I hunted up there last year. Everyone was very nice. Thanks again and you are very fortunate to have such a beautiful country.:tu