Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

4000 nonresidents

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by baker aka goosenut, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

I couldn't agree with you more.......I think it's important to establish trust and nurture good relationships with folks. And I wan't stereotyping outfitters with my statement - just pointing-out that people's reactions are dictated by behavior. There's a farmer in the area we hunt, that obviously had a bad experience with hunters. Most of the locals say he's about half crazy, anyway.....but I'd love to talk to him and find-out what made him turn. Then, maybe I'd have an oportunity to let him see that not ALL hunters are alike. I wonder if he was the fella that almost ran-down a group of hunters that set-up in his field without permission, with his pick-up truck.....liked to have hit one hunter - but, I say they did wrong to start with.

One of our (my wife and myself) biggest concerns about freelancing in Canada, is making sure we don't interfere with local hunters or local outfitters. There have been a couple of times when a local ended-up in the same field with us after we had obtained permission, first. But the last thing i want to do is make an issue out of it. I don't care what the guy did - even if it means we don't get to hunt. It's just not worth stirring things up over. Now if it goes to a 1-time 6-day permit, I might have a slightly different attitude.

Our first trip (4 years ago), we found a field fulla ducks during a snow and got permission. By the time we got our gear and got back to the field and got set-up, a local had seen the same thing and the Owner gave him permission, too. We didn't know about the other hunter until he came walking-up toward us to see if we'd bring our dog to help him find a couple of cripples in tall grass. I was absolutley horrified, thinking we set-up on top of this guy and never knew he was there. I was very apologetic and told him we would leave the field immediately. He told us the story and said we weren't bothering him, that it was better to have a few hunters spread-out in a field when they're feeding like that, because they don't get concentrated in one spot - away from your set-up. So, it worked-out. He didn't interfere with us either, and there were plenty of ducks. He was right about keeping them stirred-up with 2 different set-ups working.

Then this past year, we got permission to hunt a field. We went out there to set-up and there was already somebody else there. It was the same guy from3 years ago. My wife walked-up and told him we had permission to hunt the field that afternoon. He said he did, too - and asked if we wanted to join him. About that time, I realized it was the same fella and even remembered his name. Naturally, I didn't want to encroach on him, so I kept the conversation short, thanked him and set-up in another field owned by the same farmer. Later that night, we had supper with the farmer and he had given the local permission to hunt the field with 2 grain bins in it - some 2 miles away from the one we found him in. I told him it wasn't a big deal.......which it really wasn't. We'd had one good hunt and had plenty of time to find some more birds another day.

The last thing I want to do is give somebody any reason to resent my presence there.......even if they were wrong and it cost us a hunt. It's important to know where you are and realize that, regardless of what you think is 'right', you're a guest. There's a huge difference in feeling 'welcomed' and being 'tolerated', and I'm much more comfortable with the former.......when folks take an interest in you, and the hospitality extended, is 'genuine'. After all...it's just a duck!

2. Dave C

Dave C Senior Refuge Member

It's never happened to me. If I had permission and was setting up and some NRs happened to get permission in the same field and showed up later, if they guys had your attitude, I would invite them to join us.:tu

Last year we were setting up for a snow goose hunt, and some other guys showed up to hunt the next field over. We were only maybe 400 yards apart, but it worked out well. Sometimes the birds would work their field. get hammered on, then come to our field for a little more:dv and vice-versa. There was only a couple times when they sky busted a bit and nothing at all dropped. I think we might have donated a couple cripples that sailed a loooong way into their field. We still had a good hunt. Never got the chance to meet the other guys, but would have liked to.

3. TheDude

TheDude Elite Refuge Member

Anatidae - its a shame everyone is not like you or you would be absolutely right and this wouldn't be a problem!

I share your sentiments to the last punctuation mark.

We had a field last year and the farmer told us one of his drivers might show up in the morning, but it was a BIG field and plenty of room. Next morning we get all set up and right about first light his driver came in to the field. We had a quick chat, i offered him a spot in one of the ground blinds since it was going to be a short hunt (well over 10k birds using the field the night before). He politely declined and said he was just gonna hit the opposite corner of the field and get a few birds to take home. Turns out we both had good hunts!

I would hate to see things turn competitive up there, especially with the vast amount of land and birds to go around... you would think that people could spread out a little and just enjoy it like you're supposed to!

4. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

It sounds like most of you on this thread are the kind of people we like to see up here.:tu

I could list at least a dozen instances of sharing fields with others, both local and otherwise and it has always been a good experience. Hunters in general are pretty easy to get along with.

5. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

I completely agree with Cupped... and really like where this thread ended up going.

6. Excaliber

Excaliber Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure how much it's changed but our group was welcomed with open arms on our hunts in the late 80's in the Grimshaw/Peace River area.
    On our first trip we got snookered by a rip off guide service and we basically comandeered his gear and his truck while he was drunk the whole week.
    We just drove around looking for birds and knocked on doors.

There was not one farmer or landowner that refused permission for us to hunt. Not only would they let us hunt they would invite us in for Coffee and we would talk for hours.

Meeting some of these people was one of the highlights of the trip. They were just so friendly and wanted to talk. I have never met such nice people in my life.
    OH and the hunting was incredible to say the least.:yes
    We offered them cleaned Geese and Ducks and most of them declined.

We were respectful of their fields and property. We closed gates when they were closed and when the fields were muddy we backpacked our stuff in so we didn't dig up their fields. We treated their places with the respect we would give our own fields.
    They were surprised watching us walk out with decoys and birds saying most people would just drive into the fields and dig it all up wet or not.
    There are just too many slob hunters everywhere and they ruin it for everyone.
    A little respect goes a long way.

I see no problems with the limits the Canadian hunters get. When you look at numbers of hunters they have to number of birds harvested the bag limits are just fine with me.

You guys have it all up there. What a neat place.

I have been wanting to get back up to Canada and hopefully I will in the next year or two now that I am closer and can drive up.

7. MRB1

MRB1 Elite Refuge Member

I agrea. If you don't like the laws then don't go to Canada. So many people crying over a none resident law. I like to hunt Maryland but I need a resident with me to hunt that great state. Some day I hope to. but until then NJ will have to do.

You Canadian's my hats off to you. keep your hunting roots clean. and your country beautifully. some day I might be up to make a few more friends.

Mike :tu

8. passonhens

passonhens Senior Refuge Member

I have had the extreme pleasure of visiting Sk in October of 2004 and 2005.
    Everyone that I had any contact with was more than friendly and helpful.
    We freelanced for 8 days, and were never turned down once. We were good stewards of the land and when we picked up at the end of the hunt, you were hard pressed to find even a cigarette butt. We treated our hosts with
    respect and behaved like gentlemen and we had nothing but good things come our way. It was an experience I shall never forget. Thanks to our good neighbors to the north!!!!:clap

9. Duck Marsh Nazi

Duck Marsh Nazi Refuge Member

Sharing?????????????????????? If you want a nice peaceful experience in the sharing of waterfowl habitat please visit a public timber area in Arkansas on November 19th.........., now that's sharing:dv !!!!!!!

I am coming up for the first time in October and I plan avoiding other hunters like the plague...., while at the same time kissing as many landowner butts as I can find! The only gun I want to hear going off is my own (no the other one)....., so I will be more than happy to drive on and find the next group of birds even if the gas expense will force me to spend the money I was saving for the wifes christmas presents :yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I plan on returning to the states with permantly puckered lips and bloodied knuckles from knocking on doors.

Canada beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Build a BIIIIIIIGGGGG fence now because as good as you have it up there you could end up having thousands of illegal immigrants crossing the border in Mossy Oak Shadow Grass (how you gonna stop em if you can't see em?) that are going to end up staying for good! We are just about to run out room down here:z :z :z!

DMN

10. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

I know you are just kidding.......but you don't have to kiss butts to get permission.

In fact, I witnessed an instance where a guy came to the door to ask permission and was frothing at the mouth and breathing so hard, the farmer declined because he was afraid the dude would have a heart attack on his property. :nutz

People can detect when you are geniune and when you're fake, and 'fake' will get you a "no", quicker than you can figure-out what happened. Just be yourself - that's who I'd 'assess' if someone came knocking on my door. If I think a fella is fulla sunshine - I'd rather know that, up front.:tu

Here's a goo (true) story for your entertainment...I had an experience with a guy that approached us several times. At first I thought he wanted to act as our 'guide'. 'Said he had some fields and birds located, that he does that for some 'friends' in town. I told him thanks, but that we were self-sufficient, we hunt alone, and enjoyed doing everything ourselves. He then tried to tell me it was going to be difficult to get permission because there were about "40 of us". I said, "40 of you, what?" He said, "freelancers".

I told him that was part of the game, that we hadn't had a problem in the past, there seemed to be plenty of birds in the area - that we'd take our chances. (Come to find-out he didn't have any decoys or other equipment). I asked him what direction he was working, so I'd stay out of his way and he said SW. I said, "fine, we'll work in another direction."

So, we found a field with some geese in it (NE of town) - only there was another truck watching the same field. I figured they would call and get permission sooner than I could get back to a phone. So, we found a hig hill about a mile away and watched through binoculars. We just sat there until (sure-enough) somebody disturbed the geese so much that they made them nervous enough to leave. I was counting on that, so I could establish a secondary feeding field and get permission to hunt IT.

Later, I ran into the guy again at the gas pump. 'Asked if we found a field yet. I told him we had. He said we'd better get permission pretty quick or loose it to someone else. (pushy little sucker....nosey, too) It was Sunday around noon and I told him I'd wait 'til later in the day, that I wasn't going to bother somebody about hunting, while they were eating Sunday dinner.

'Bout 3:00, I called the farmer and sure enough, the field was already taken via a phone call he got around noon. But I got permission to hunt the secondary field down the road, from another farmer.

Well, my plan worked - they shot the primary field and we got some 'shot-ats' and a few pairs and singles in our field about 1-1/2 miles North of them, in the secondary field - plus a limit of fatheads.

I saw the guy later that day......
    Him: "Well, did you have any luck?"
    Me: "Yeah, we had a good hunt."
    Him: "Where were you hunting?"
    Me: "I'd rather not say.......but it wasn't SW of here."
    Him: "I had some friends that hunted such and such field NE of here and they heard some shooting North of them - was that you guys?"
    Me: "Yeah, we heard your group down there."

(So, he knows the area we're hunting, now)

Him: "Yeah, I scouted that field and gave it to my 'friends' in town."

Now why would anybody go around scouting fields unless they gained something from it?........and to purposely go out of their way to let me know they are screwing with us. Makes you wonder if he followed us around and intentionally tried to screw-up our chances, because we refused his 'kindness'. (I would have called it 'business' but the subject of money never came-up......I made sure there was no opportunity nor interest in that prospect). He offered to take us to a field he knew of, that was loaded with geese.

"Thanks, but we're doing fine. Besides, if I wanted someone to do everything for me, I would have hired an outfitter. We prefer to hunt by ourselves." I was being polite, the whole time thinking - "GOD!..........what an idiot".

I couldn't figure-out if he was a freelancer (with no equipment), an undercover CWS agent.....(naw.....too stupid), or a 'disgruntled ex-lacky - guide/outfitter wanna-be'........:yes ....trying to con someone with superior intellect.

Two years later, locals are telling us stories about what a fool he is - he's the one that chewed the farmer out for letting a NR hunt on his land. Real smart, huh.

Oh yeah.......after he saw my decoy trailer, he asked if I had anything I would sell....that prices were really high on equipment in Canada.:confused: When I told him I used everything in there, he asked me if I had any I wasn't going to be using.......that he could borrow - that he found a PILE of geese in a field and wanted to go hunt them, himself. :yes (I'm dead serious! - and remember......he's a freelancer.......but, with no equipment). But he was just trying to 'bait' us with some other waste of time. Man, he was like a 3-finger booger.......just couldn't get rid of him.

Yeah.....like I'm going to loan him some equipment after he tried to screw my hunting up - I don't think so! It was unbelieveable.......:rolleyes:.....how much trouble he went to - trying to make us sweat the 'unknown'. It was like he was stalking us. After a few more run-ins, I got pretty irritated......then, it got to be like a 'chess game', with me.......to out-strategize him. I mean, he just didn't get it......almost to the point you just had to laugh and get ready for his next 'move' - BWAAAAHHHAHAhahaha!!