Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

4000 nonresidents

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by baker aka goosenut, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

My thoughts exactly, can't wait to get up there this season:tu

2. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

The resident farmers we know, have observed the same.
    Yeah, there's a 'peak' migration for snows and a 'peak' migration for everything else. That's our strategy, as well......only we drive 2000miles one-way and gamble on 'freeze-up'.....or 'freeze-out'......so there's always a certain level of anxiety associated with timing our trip. But we target big honks and full-plumage 'fatheads' (mallards). I really enjoy hunting around freeze-up, anyway. The birds are more interesting to watch and the wild fluctuations in their daily patterns is more challenging. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of....."Oh look, there's a field fulla geese - let's hunt there, tomorrow". I've gotten to where I like to watch the field for a few days, let the numbers build, then set-up to shoot video of 10K hungry waterfowl crapping all over you and your equipment. We set-up like that 3 times after possession limits were reached last year. There wasn't anybody really hunting them in that area by then. We actually would've stayed longer just to enjoy the sights, but things started to thaw-out and the fields woud've gotten too soft, again. So, we cut out trip short.

3. Drylock2

Drylock2 Refuge Member

Your group sounds a lot like ours Anatidae. We like post-freeze hunting...not as much competition, no mud, dry, easy camoflage in the snow. We set up for video after our possession limits too. I have made a nice home DVD using iMovie from the video I've shot over the years. If I find a way to post some I will.

4. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

For the record.........'our group' consists of me, my wife, and her Golden Retriever. :tu

I look forward to seeing your video sometime. Here's a still shot from some video of a young honker that fed within 15yds of us for about 30 minutes.

[​IMG]