4wd issues? 05 Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Fowler267, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

It's getting too close to duck season to have a broke 4wd......

Last December the "service 4wd" light came on with the truck being at about 198,000 miles. If you shut the key off and restarted, it would reset and go away. The 4wd still worked.

It kept coming back and I did a little research on the issue via Youtube. I managed to get through the season and had plans to fix it in Feb/March. I finally swapped out the transfer case encoder motor and thought I was good... Nope, issue kept coming back... Took it to a guy with a Snap On code reader and he thought it was the encoder motor again.. So I replaced it again... Same issue, So I replaced the push button in the dash... Same issue, So I replaced the Transfer Case Control Module behind the dash.... I had another place(Autozone) read the code and it indicated a bad transfer case control module so I replaced that for the second time... Went ahead and swapped out the front axle accuator as I had nothing else to replace...

I had also already cleaned the grounds on the frame just behind the left front wheel....

Issue went away....... Temporarily. I was on my third encoder motor by this time..

Getting ready for a Florida trip and I put the truck in 4low to get it up on four ramps to change the transmission fluid and filter and the transfer case fluid....

I roll off the ramps only to find the truck is now stuck in 4 low....

I had a guy come over to fool with it. He has a lot more experience then I do with 4wd issues... No luck. He recommends I take it to a mechanic in town who he likes.

I do... He asks for a new encoder motor(#4) I bring it to him... He can't fix it; thinks the transfer case shift fork is bent... Recommends I have him replace the transfer case.. I ask if he can rebuild mine as I have taken pretty good care of it to include the fresh fluid.. He doesn't want to do that.

I call around several places until one tells me that they will rebuild mine.... (This is July) I drive the truck(in 4 low ) to the new shop and park it and walk in the office to hand over the keys for the T Case Rebuild. The mechanic at the counter claims he has been there three years and never seen a T Case rebuilt.... Not being fond of lies, I walk out in search of a new mech shop...

Parts store recommends a trans shop... I walk in and another guy claims he has a T case to fit my truck... Offers to sell it cheap... I drive truck to his shop... Turns out the T Case he has does not fit... He thinks it is an electrical issue and I agree..... I leave the truck with him for three weeks and it never gets touched..

I retrieve truck after three weeks, drive it to a buddies garage(in 4 low) and order a rebuilt t Case for $1100. I replace T Case myself but discover that the old case turns and shifts very smoothly.... Basically just like the newly rebuilt one... I put the new one in, hook everything up and push the button..... Nothing, it attempts to shift to 2wd after shifting to 4low... No dice, no change, same issue.

Rebuilt T Case $1100
    Transfer Case Encoder Motor $275 or so (Swapped 5 times from two parts shops) Total $550

Transfer Case Control Module $350(Swapped out twice)
    Pushbutton in dash $100.
    Front accuator $125
    One mech paid for an honest attempt $100
    A couple more quarts of Transfer Case Fluid $24 (Why go cheap even if the old fluid is fresh?)

Finally(in August) drove truck 15 miles(in 4low) to a mech who has been good in the past. Called him in June but no answer or return call)

He thinks it is a short but has not found an answer yet....He has only managed to get it to shift one time.

Today I had to borrow a buddies truck/trailer to cut trees that I started on in April and to pull one boat to a welder and tow the other to my storage building to load the duck boat blinds....

Chevy.... Like a ROCK!

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Keep throwing parts at it you're bound to fix it sooner or later, maybe.:l:l:l
    Take it to the dealership or a 4x4 specialty shop before you go broke chasing lighting.:yes

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Probably in the end would have been cheaper to take it to a dealership and pay them to fix it.
    I solved my GM problems around 12 years ago and switched to Ford !!

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

"I solved my GM problems around 12 years ago and switched to Ford !!":z:rolleyes:
    My dad "used" to drive fords his trucks had far more problems than my chevys ever did. His partner finally got so tired of my dads trucks always breaking down or burning through front tires that he laid down the law saying that he will never again pay for half of the repairs or half of a new truck unless my father quit buying fords.:yes:l:l:l

5. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

A dealership ?????

Would have been a lot cheaper in the long run..

ripline likes this.
  6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

My thing with it is Ford still offers things you can get like manual locking hubs while GM has done away with them, same thing with the goofy daylight running lights GM insists on putting on their vehicles. In my mind GM is telling it's customers what they want to buy while Ford still seems to let the customer pick out what he/she wants in a truck.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    burgawboy and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That was quite the read. What a bummer.
    My 2000 GMC, sold with 200k miles on it, would have "service 4x4" pop up on the dash after a good rain.
    The 4x4 never went out on it and the code would clear itself after driving it a few minutes.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a sensor or electrical problem. Take it to a Yota dealership and get a new ride. ;)

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Swap in a manual transfer case--problems solved forever!

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.
  10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Feel your pain @Fowler267. I had issues w/ 1996 Sierra 4x4 while launching my boat during duck season years ago. Took it to a transmission shop close to my office out of convenience and there it sat for 6 weeks. Finally, got it back and within a week I was having the same issue. Took it back and it sat for another month. I threatened the owner with bodily harm and got my truck back in short order. No more issues. I talked to another shop owner about what transpired and he told me "If you want to get rich and have no morals, rent a block building and open up a transmission shop."

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.