$5,000 farm truck question

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Lives_to_hunt, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Lives_to_hunt

Lives_to_hunt Elite Refuge Member

Looking for a ?farm truck? for towing, wood hauling? This will not be a daily driver. All things being equal will the early-mid 1990?s 460 last longer than the 351? Is the 460 likely to have a bigger, better tranny?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

First question is, how much hauling/towing. If it is substantial, go big.

Yea, the 460 will probably have a bigger tranny, but it all depends on how it was used before you found it.

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

For what it's worth I never had a 460 but from people I talk to no one seemed to impressed by it

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The 460's were to say the least gas hogs, power wise I've driven trucks that that had 460's in them and they didn't impress me much.
    Used trucks in good shape are hard to come by right now, you might want to look around and see if you can find one with the old 7.3 liter diesel in it, those trucks had power, although finding one in good shape for a reasonable price might be difficult at best.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what you guys are comparing the 460 to but back in college I drove two very similar trucks for a landscaper I worked for, one with the 351 and one with a 460. While the 351 wasn't bad the 460 was in a whole nother class towing dump trailer loads of mulch and gravel. It certainly wasn't a mileage king but it had gobs of low end torque.
    Personally for a beat around farm/work truck that mpg wasn't a big factor I'd go with larger displacement every time.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I never owned one, but my buddy did. I agree with the above.

7. jsmoody

jsmoody Refuge Member

I wouldn't spend $5k on any 20 year old gas burner. Early 90s cummins or 7.3 will last many many years.