50 horsepower jet - Yamaha, Evinrude, or Honda

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bobshem, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

Now that the Kenai is going four stroke or two stroke direct injected 50 hp max I am looking to add a new motor to my bag of tricks.

I want to get a jet powered motor with 50 horses at the drive shaft (meaning 35 horse at the jet).

I want a light, dependable motor to put on a light riveted 1684 Lowe jon boat.

Weight is an issue as I tend to get stuck on sand bars when the migration happens.

Which would you prefer - and why?

Yamaha 50 four stroke with a jet unit.
    Evinrude Etec 50 two stroke with a jet unit.
    Honda 50 four stroke with a jet unit.

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

I would go yamaha or the e-tec. Personally I am a Yamaha guy but I know your boat and the e-tec may be the way to go for weight reasons. I don't know the weight differences but assume the e-tec is lighter. But when I was researching motors I (larger than 50) I was surprised how heavy the e-tecs were, still lighter than the 4-strokes buy not that much.

Have you talked to George over at Anchorage Yamah and Suzuki marine? He may be able to steer you to a Suzuki. I am not a big honda fan as their 50hp are only 3 cylinders and don't have the torque of the Yamaha's which is important in pushing a big boat. In your case the Honda may be worth looking into. I don't know if the Honda's are fuel injected or not.

I have seen the Yamaha EFI (Fuel Injected) and know they are a very sweet, smooth motor. I thought my old carburated 4-stroke was nice, the fuel injected ones blow them out of the water!

3. bigreid

Bob,
    I just looked at the Evinrude site and they listed the 50hp e-tech ant 240 lbs dry weight.

http://www.brp.com/en-US/Products/Evinrude/Showroom/ProductSpecs.htm?productID=ETEC50

Yamaha lists their 50hp 4 stroke at 237lbs.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcatspecs/2/specs.aspx

Doesn't make much sense but it looks like the 4-stroke is lighter.

Honda 4-stroke weighs in at 212 lbs, looks like you may have a winner!

http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF50

Suzuki weighs in at 243 lbs.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr_07/df50-40/features/

4. bobshem

Here are my current prejudices:

Dudley at AK Mining and Diving says that he would opt for a Honda 50/35 jet over a jet equipped 50 HP Etec Evinrude.

He believes that the factory jet-equipped Honda 50/35 is a better performing motor than an Etec with a jet. He says that the gearing in the Honda is optimized for the Outboard Jet. He also likes the short shaft of the factory equipped Honda jet. No riser is needed for a 20 inch transom. My current transom riser should work as is as I have a 15 inch transom built up to 20 inches.

He limits that comparison to the Honda 50/35 jet vs the Etec 50/35 jet. He only gives Honda the edge with that particular motor.

The weight and price of the Honda appear to be a lot better than the Etec.

Honda has been making 4 strokes for 40 years. For example, their new Vtec 90 is adapted from a 110 hp Honda automobile engine. Their track record is pretty good.

The Etecs are relatively new technology. Only time will tell if they are as good as promised.

The Yamaha seems to be a great 50 with a prop but it's a bit heavy as a jet motor.

I am interested in the Honda but I don't know if I can fly $6600 past my wife.:cry

5. Pine

Pine Elite Refuge Member

i have a 50HP Yamaha 4 stroke on my 1754 war eagle and it will haul.
    it's not a jet drive though

6. bigreid

Bob,
    Have you thought about buying a just a prop for the boat. You could keep your current 2-stroke jet for duck season and put on the prop motor for the kenai in the summer. That way you have the lighter 2-stroke for the sandbars and the prop for a little more speed when fishing. But I know you do like that early season trip up north for some kings so the jet would be a good thing for that. You would have to switch motors for late season ducks if you are still heading south after freeze up.

So in the end, if any of that made sense, you could have the best of both worlds but I would buy the new honda, you would just have to dig up some of those coffee cans in the back yard that are full of money!:grvn :grvn

Either way, you won't be able to keep up with me!!!:dv :dv :sp

7. bigreid

Don't worry about the wife Bob, I have a brand new Yamaha 50hp still in the box that I bought last fall that she doesn't know about!!
    It will be on my fishing boat in '08.

8. bobshem

When she finds out be sure to tell her to contact me with the times and places for the visitation and burial.:l

I have an excellent low hours '94 two stroke 40 (Kenai legal) Yamaha with a jet. It runs like a champ. I did 33 miles up the Susitna last weekend on one 6 gallon tank of gas. I know that I can't get much money for that motor, so it makes little sense to me to basically "give" that motor away. I imagine that it will be in my shed for backup during the early duck season.

I wish that the DNR would have made two strokes illegal only during the King season. I could forgo the Kenai in June and July but I'd still like to use my two stroke for Silvers and ducks. Dissolved hydrocarbons are not an issue once the (guide) crowd scrams.

I wonder if I were to re-route the exhaust from my two stroke so that it exhausts into a nice quiet muffler into the air (rather than in the water) if the DNR would allow me to run the Kenai? I wouldn't be putting any hydrocarbons in the water. In fact I'd be putting less in the water than those beloved 4 stroke Yamahas.

9. bobshem

It is my impression that the detuned 4 stroke 50 HP Yamaha easily out-muscles the Honda (with a prop). In fact, the Honda dealer claims that it is his opinion that the detuned 50 Yamaha is putting out more than 35 hp. He says that if a detuned 50 Yamaha is put on a dynamometer that it would be found to be illegal on the Kenai. Well, at least that is his story to explain the great number of guide boats on the Kenai with detuned 4 stroke 50 hp Yamahas, as opposed to his Hondas.

So, if I were to get a prop it would most likely be a 50 Yamaha. The lighter weight and good things said about the Honda are the selling points for the 50/35 jet Honda.

If I ever get a green light (or my walking papers) from my wife I will probably get the Honda.:tu

10. bigreid

The yamaha's run better than the honda's because of the increase torque of the 4 cylinders rather than the 3. There are some guide boats with the honda's (Wildland Adventures) and they seem to do alright, they hang just behind the Yamahas but they do well. With the weight of your boat I don't think it would matter between the Honda or Yamaha. If you want the jet I would get the Honda, probably cheaper than the Yamaha as well. Either motor will really push your boat well.

How fast were you running with the 40 jet?