50 horsepower jet - Yamaha, Evinrude, or Honda

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bobshem, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

I intentionally ran at about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle to maximize fuel economy. I backed the throttle of of wide open to an engine speed that sounded quiet and smooth on the tiller.

Data from my handheld Garmin.

Going down river with the current:

33.2 miles, average speed 22 mph, 1 hour 32 minutes, considerably less than one 6.6 gallon tank.

Going up river against the current:

32.1 miles, average speed 17 mph, 1 hour 53 minutes, slightly less than one 6.6 gallon tank.

The overall average speed 19.5 mph.

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

That is pretty good mph and mpg! It is amazing what 3/4 throttle will do. Is your top speed around 30 with the 40hp jet?

3. bobshem

No, probably mid to upper 20s depending on the load and the wear on the impeller and sleeve.

It seems to me that I got about 28 mph when the jet was first installed and the boat was empty. I had my Kenai cam installed. I also had the original three blade aluminum impeller in place.

I think that the only time I'd see 30 is going down river empty.

Side note: After I purchased a stainless four blade impeller I noticed that my hole shot is much better. I went to Alexander Creek loaded down with two 200 pound guys, a 70 pound dog, tent, cooler, ice, seven 6 gallon cans of gas, etc. I was impressed at how nicely the boat got on step. I expected the boat to dog and maybe even not get on step but I was pleasantly surprised when that didn't happen.

The four blade stainless doesn't seem to help the top end, however.

I'd like to get a tachometer to help monitor the wear on the jet.

4. bigreid

Bob,
    Check out tinytach.com or something like that. I know the company name is tiny tach. Danny in the boat forum highly reccomends them and I will probably get one for each of my motors as 40 bucks seems pretty nice for a tach! Obviously not top of the line but they will get the job done.

Did you get the SS impeller yourself or did you have J. Kim put it in?

I am thinking of getting one as well, for less wear more than anything. I am guessing around $500 bucks or so, plus a new sleeve. I am thinking of the new composite sleeve that J. Kim reccommended.

5. bobshem

No. I put the sleeve and impeller in myself. It is an easy task, easier than repacking trailer wheel bearings.

Buy your parts at A-1 prop and impeller repair on Dowling where it curves north. They have the best prices I could find, plus I am not sure where you can find a four blade stainless, except at A-1.

The guy that owns the place seems to be a top-notch businessman.

6. bigreid

Thanks Bob, I will have to stop by there. I used to do business there when Bob was the manager and haven't been there since the sale and move. I would like to get a SS impeller for my jet, just to keep down the wear, I think it will save time and money in the long run. I think my impeller and sleeve is pretty warn.

Did you check out tiny tach??

7. bobshem

I am currently "on the road" in Toulouse France. I am accompanying my wife on a trip that she "won" from her job. My access to the forum is iffy for the next week or so.

I will google Tiny Tach and see what I find.

I think that the only decent way to assure good performance from an outboard jet is to do some GPS work and some Tach work immediately after you install a new impeller and sleeve. Once the sleeve wears or the impeller wears you will probably note a decrease in running speeds and an increase in RPMs. A significant change in top end or RPMs would signal time to reshim or replace parts.