65-year-old Ex-Hunters ??

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ditchbanker, May 16, 2018.

1. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Elite Refuge Member

Scott McMorrow likes this.
  2. Scott McMorrow

Scott McMorrow Senior Refuge Member

Glad to see NPR running this piece. The positive impacts of hunting are sure to make some of their readers cringe.

LimitsOnRuddys likes this.
  3. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

I passed that around last night on FB and a bunch of other guys on here did too.... I am sure some people's heads exploded

4. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Its so true. I used to have lots of kids that wanted to go hunting and fishing, not so much anymore. I did put a 82 old hunter and 14 year old boy together a couple years back to keep the old guy hunting and a young man has someone to show him the ropes. All consumptive sportsmen have a duty to introduce people to the sport.

7pntail and Winchester 1897 like this.
  5. ICDUK

ICDUK Elite Refuge Member

My Dad introduced me to duck, pheasant, and dove hunting in the mid-60's when there was access and a good amount of birds around the Vacaville/Dixon area. Spec can probably add alot to this. My Dad hunted into his early 80's before he got sick. I am 66 and will hunt as long as my health is good.
    I introduced my two sons to bird hunting and they did hunt until their late teens and developed other interests, relocated, etc.

Most of my Boomer friends still hunt. I personally know quite a few younger hunters in their 30's/40's who hunt. Our society especially here in certain areas of CA, are anti-gun and anti-hunting IMO. The demographics have certainly changed, access, costs of hunting, and farming practices have had an impact on hunting. Just look at the refuge system changes in the past 25 years.

Change is inevitable and is always around the corner. As the boomers retire from hunting, the decline will continue here in CA. I was fortunate to grow up and hunt in the 60's where their were quite a few birds with a decent flyway, the pheasant and dove hunting was very good. I could walk down main street with my 20 ga.double barrel open and two roosters in my hand for a newspaper picture. Now the black helicopters and SWAT teams would be called out-very sad. When that POS Gavin Newsome is elected Gov., it will only get worse. Hard to beat the weather and all of the things to do here in CA. tho.
    However, if you younger guys that like to hunt/fish, want a better quality of life, could change jobs, be ok moving from family and friends, I would be outta here or certainly plan down the road to relocate.:yes
    Father time catches up to all of us quickly, you better get movin.:l

6. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Lots of hunters are just going to take it with them when they die...

Refuges still have some kids...

I know of many clubs that don’t allow juniors during the regular season...

I belonged to a decent club for a few years, maybe 8–10 members...owner now proudly states he has thinned it down to just 1-2 hunters...he is pleased as punch...

Dad & 2 kids are out easily $1000+ per day for guided hunts...good for those that can afford it...

Still millions of hunters in the other states...attend an event like the NRA and/or N W T F convention and you might be surprised, surprised, surprised...

7. Goosekiller

Goosekiller Senior Refuge Member

Unfortunately hunting is slowly becoming an elitist sport like in western Europe. The biggest question going forward will hunting survive the liberal political climate that seems to be taking this country over.
    With most youth having there heads buried in electronics and social media the future of hunting doesn't look promising.
    I hope I'm wrong. But just not seeing the youth as passionate about hunting or outdoor type activities like prior generations.

8. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

It does seem like there are less and less people hunting these days. Will be surprised if hunting survives in this state especially with the attack on guns and the conservative lifestyle. We have four kids between 16 - 25 that we try to get out to our club whenever they want to be there. They do enjoy it, but maybe not as much as we do. But at the same time, that age is a time for chasing girls and exploring other things in life. I think the key is the ability to have access and someone that is there to share the experience.

It's a labor of love and takes a good deal of time and some money to participate. But pretty much anything goes. There is also way too many other options, but maybe those options will get boring after a while, well maybe not the chasing girls part.

9. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Just like most things in life. If you are not part of the solution...you are part of the problem. Its up to all of us that appreciate hunting and fishing to get the next generation involved. I try to get as many people as I can involved in the outdoors.

And as far as supporting wildlife habitat and conservation, I think hunters and fisherman have and continue to do their fair share if not more. My opinion is that all those that utilize our natural resources should be paying.

Hug a tree....pay a fee. Pet a bunny...spend some money.

J.Bennett and API like this.
  10. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Just curious... has anyone ever seen local state refuge staff checking bird watchers to see if they paid the day use fee?

CADUCKWHACKER likes this.