7-1/2 if it's calm and 6's if it's blowing.

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Greybeard, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Either way, I do my Dove hunting with a single-shot 16 Gauge and/or a Side x Side 20 Gage.
    Did I mention that I HATE steel shot?!!:mad:

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Dan,

I think #6's are way underated as a small upland load... They maintain sufficient pattern density for smaller game, while also having what seems to me superior knock-down power...

We use them on dove for higher passing shots, and it smokes em'... Far superior load for pigeons than
    #7 1/2's...

I use them on all my western quail (valley quail and mountain quail)... Our valley quail are just a bit bigger and tougher than dove (and from people who have hunted Bobwhites, valley quail are a hardier bird as well), and mountain quail are larger yet... A crippled western quail equates to a lost bird in most areas I hunt, cause the birds get into cracks and crevices that dogs or people cannot get to... I have far less cripples with #6's on quail...

My brief experiences with #7's always lead me to wonder why they were replaced with #7 1/2's??? My guess would be that if more widely available, they would be my preferred choice for all small-game birds (excluding snipe)...

Not a fan of steel either, but I have learned to live with it... And by the looks of things, I am going to have to live with it for more and more of my hunting if our CA lead-ban laws come into effect...:doh:z