7 year old...

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Echo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Echo

Echo Senior Refuge Member

My 7 year old daughter wants a bow for Christmas.

That means I will have to get one too. Dayum the luck.

Wife currently won't let me get one, unless I sell my duck hunting stuff. Something about gone every weekend already...

Looks like a free pass.....

What kind of bow for the little girl? See the packages all over, including Farm N Barn....

Anyone?

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Take her to a bow shop and get her fitted with one that she'll like shooting.

Of course, you should get a top of the line bow in order to set a good example of what and archer should be. :yes

3. GVOllie

GVOllie Senior Refuge Member

Absolutely get her fitted. She won't enjoy it if the bow is too hard to shoot or a piece of junk. I got my daughter a Diamond Nuclear Ice in pink digital camo at that age. She is now 10 and still shoots it with a few more years of growing left in it.

Everyone (including her 4-H instructor) thinks it's "cute" until they see her shoot it, then "cute" turns to "fast!!!". She shoots 3-D summer league with it from the adult stakes. Gave up cub stakes after one round. Good resale value as well.

[​IMG]

4. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Recently, I got my son a PSE Jr Razorback 15lb recurve. I had a lot of trouble finding arrows that would stabilize in it so I put a couple of dampners on the string and use a carbon youth arrow that works.

It's a good bow and the pull on it is just right plus the riser has some screwholes you can use to add stuff on to it. If he wears it out, I'll get him something more upscale!

5. Echo

Thanks for the replies, albeit too late.

Santa, of course had to go to Cabela's right away, fore she changed her mind.

I looked at a nice PSE, I think, was about 280.00. I want to say variable draw weight from 20 to 50?

I ended up getting her a Bear 20# camo- pink was sold out. Came with field point tips, scabbard, and a whisker biscuit site. Think I spent $120.00

Won't actually hunt, not enough poundage... I figured if she likes it, and enjoys shooting, I'll get her the more expensive one in May for her birthday.

Haven't picked mine out yet, I am going to go to a shop and get fitted.

Wife won't buy it, I tried...

Those new Matthews look nice, $1000.00 pricetag is a little scary. Figure it's like guns, you get what you pay for...

6. GVOllie

GVOllie Senior Refuge Member

Not necessarily! Both of my bows were bought used for under $200 each. Both are older model PSEs, and both are in their 3 season of league shooting and hunting.

7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

This iis a great time to pick up a good used bow. Lots of guys trade every year. I bought mine at a bow shop and paid a little more than half what a new setup would cost. I got the bow, quiver, sight, arrows, and three broadheads for 750.00 and a case.

Add in all the extras in when you price a bow.

8. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Ditto what widgeon said.
    You can pick up a year or two old loaded bow ready to go for half the price of a brand new one with guys trading up to the latest greatest all the time. Ebay has tons of them, picked up a sweet PSE a few years ago like that, will be getting a Bear Carnage used before next Fall.

9. Echo

Santa went to cabelas, got a cheap bear combo. Then dad went to the bow shop, and was told that you can't put a kisser, no peep, no release, etc. so dad talked to Santa, and mysteriously, elves appeared at the front door with a Hoyt Rampage. Pink of course.

Went to the range today. Got there when they opened, at 11. Finally dragged my daughter out of there at 330.

Oh, Santa bought the bow(400ish), for some reason daddio got stuck with the case, arrows, stabilizer, release, and matching pink wrist strap... ' nother 200, give or take.

Finally went to the bow shop today to get the whole thing put together so she could shoot it. Got there when they opened at 11, finally dragged her out at 3:30.

Entirely worth it!

10. Echo

Duh, ruckus, not rampage. For some reason can't edit.