7d mark ii AF servo case settings

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by tom f, May 16, 2016.

1. tom f

tom f Senior Refuge Member

I know several of us here on the form have a 7d mark ii now and most of us seem pleased with the amazing AF tracking. So far I am thrilled with this camera's ability to track compared to the old 40d. I have watched plenty of YouTube videos on the AF case settings. I am interested in hearing of what case settings most of you guys are using for BIF as well as general subject tracking, song birds particularly. Mike-AKA lame-duck, I hope you can chime in on this. It looks like you have put plenty of time behind the 7d mark ii.
    Here is a link to one of Arthur Morris's video regarding this. AF servo case starts @ about 3:45 into video.

2. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

I remember back when I got my first DSLR...a 10D...I never looked at any of the functions available to the camera...just shot everything manual. Then I got a 30D and the same, then a 40D and the same. It wasn't till I got a 1D that I started working with the custom functions as that body made you work for your shots. By the time I got a 7D I was used to setting up the functions and took advantage of everything I could. SO this thread will hopefully get some good comments.

3. tom f

I hear ya! Seems real quiet on the forum this time of the year?

4. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Tom...I've played with the various case settings for a long time....in the 5DIII, the 7DII. and the 1DX. I would go back and forth between the different case settings and I finally settled on what Art Morris suggested. I took case 3 and changed the settings to: Tracking sensitivity = -2, Accel./decel. tracking = +2, and AF pt auto switching = +2

I find that I've had good luck with BIF using Morris's settings.

5. tom f

Thanks Mike! I was hoping you would pipe in on this one. I stumbled on his video when I got the camera and use his settings also. I have tried a few others but keep going back to it too. I thought this would get more interest on the forum. Thanks.

6. Lame-Duck

Tom...I've noticed that very few of the guys are using the photography forum at this time. I'm not sure why it's been so quiet.

7. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Sign of the times...Everyone is using Facebook now but FM's wildlife forum still seems to be strong. Maybe we should form a FB group.....

8. Lame-Duck

Hmmm....I think I'm just too old for Facebook...it just never appealed to me. I believe I'll just stick around here. :)

9. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Ha LD, Your not too old! I'm now addicted to "Farce Book".. I've met a lot of new friends that way. But, like you I enjoy this one too.