Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

7MM.08 Anyone have any thoughts?.300short mag

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by trigger man, Jul 31, 2001.

1. trigger man

trigger man Guest

I was taking to a hunter last fall who had one.Sounded like it was a good cartridge for whitetails? Any one heard about the .300 short magnum.

2. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler Moderator

Most Northeastern part of Southeast Central Kentuc
    I WANT ONE!

I LOVE SHORT ACTIONS!

3. goose 55

goose 55 Refuge Member

I bought a 7mm-08 2 years ago to hunt deer. Let me tell you its an excellent gun for the job. I put a Nikon Monarch on it for a scope and shoot handloaded 140gr ballistic tips. It drops 'em in their tracks!!
    They new 300 wsm are supoosed to be awesome guns. Remington now has also come out w/a .300 short ultra mag. with better ballistics then the win .300 WSM!!

4. mallardSX2

mallardSX2 Elite Refuge Member

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: mallardSX2 ]

5. mallardSX2

mallardSX2 Elite Refuge Member

my buddy has a 7mm-08 and he has shot several deer with it including his first buck last year a ten point with a 18 inch spread. Killed every deer deader that a door nail. only one doe took one hop. sounds like an ok gun to me. the wsm magnum sure looks sweet but go figure those worthless remington folks gota go do better than winchester after all thats the only way they would stay ahead.

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am a big fan of the fat, efficient, short action rounds. Rick Jamison who writes for Shooting Times did some great development work on these using the 404 Jeffreys cartridge as a basis for the short magnum concept. There are a number of articles out there now and more to come, praising the Winchester Short Magnum. The beauty of it besides being able to use a stiff compact short action, is that they produce the high velocities with less powder and less recoil than current equivalent offerings. Thus a 300 short mag round kicks like a 30/06. Those considering a new one rifle to do all might want to wait because all the major manufacturers are going to be offerring chamberings soon.
    I think a 7mm version of the 300 WSM is my idea of a great round. I was going to rebarrel a short action Ruger into a necked down 7WSM wildcat and then heard that factory versions in 7mm and 270 are on the way.
    As many of you are aware this short, fat, efficient concept came to light when great success in bench rest competition was achieved by the 22 and 6mm PPC.

A Ruger laminated stock 7mm WSM is my next rifle, it should shoot flat like a 7mm mag, and kick like a 280, all in a short action.