870 Ejector???

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Bender, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

So I'm just a humble duck hunter who has a trusty 870 that has been recently failing to pull shells out of the barrel. I've shot a lot of rounds through it over the years and I am wondering if the hook that is supposed to grab the brass is worn out or if it can be adjusted. It seems to have a spring inside that could be part of the problem. Its not obviously rounded off and its not happening every time I shoot but one shot on a gun you expect to get a few from is not gonna be acceptable. I gotta figure out how to keep my go-to utility gun in service and pulling spent shells out normally.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Good guess would be Ejector spring either worn out or broken, here's what it looks like. If it's broken your better off getting a gunsmith to replace it as it's riveted in place, if it's just worn out you can try prying it up a bit from underneath. Drop the trigger group and GENTLY use some needle nose pliers to bend it back up a bit, see if that works.
    870Ejector[1].jpg

3. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

? I think he is talking about the extractor?

While the OP titled his post “ejector” he says it’s not pulling the fired shell from the “barrell” ??chamber.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    ronaldo likes this.
  4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I had the same problem with my 870. Your extractor is worn out even though it doesn't appear to be. Go and buy a new extractor and spring. They are super easy to replace so you don't need a gunsmith to do it, just look it up. Mine started wearing out last year and became a problem. My gun would jam about 3-4 times every box of shells I would shoot. Replaced the extractor and spring and the problem was solved.

Other things to consider:
    1. Powder buildup will catch on the brass and jam up your gun. If you aren't cleaning you gun after shooting 2-3 boxes with a brush and powder solvent you'll start having issues with jamming.
    2. Is your cap on the magazine screwed on all the way?

If both of those things aren't issues it's the extractor. I shot about 15 boxes out of mine a year for the last 12 years and it became a problem so if you're around that point it should be replaced. Parts cost about 10 bucks.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I had the extractor spring break on an 11-87 which sent the extractor claw and plunger out into the marsh effectively shutting that weapon down for the day. As ACB stated above, replacement of the spring, plunger and extractor would probably be advised as all of those components should run <$30USD.

6. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

Thanks again Fellas.

I didn't get a lot of sleep this weekend so this morning when I posted I should have said extractor.

I'll replace that and I should be good to go. This was exactly what I was looking for, a few similar experiences. Recently its happened a few times enough to get under my skin and cost me a cripple that was allowed to escape when a second shot wasn't possible cause my next shell popped into place before the old one came free.

7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Last 11-87 I ever used puked one on its third shot.

8. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Pictured here are the ejector and ejector spring. The ejector will crack at the forward rivet, being covered by the spring it is not easy to see. Use needle nose as suggested or with the barrel in place, attempt to twist it back and forth. The lug on the ejector mates with the barrel recess and there will be obvious play if it's cracked. I have replaced ejectors and springs on 3 870s, all had issues like you describe...so check this. Make sure the spring itself is not deformed or tweeked...compare with a known good one. If the ejector and ejector spring are good I would go ahead and replace the extractor and spring. Either way it's a cheap fix and relatively easy job. Plenty of youtube videos out there.

9. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Try cleaning you chamber before you start replacing parts, get a 10G bronze brush and wrap it with OO steel wool.
    Chuck it up in a drill motor add some oil to the chamber and steel wool and go to town on the chamber.:yes:yes:yes:tu

goosenazi and duckbuster5901 like this.