A Bad Idea Wrapped In A Good One

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by hartfish, Feb 13, 2018.

1. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

I have no idea how to restructure the food stamp program, but this most certainly isn't the answer.
    There's no question it needs a major overhaul and I give credit to Trump for addressing the subject, but this is the best they could do?

Specifically, the Trump budget proposal would gut the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), better known as food stamps, by $17.2 billion in 2019 — equivalent to 22 percent of the program’s total cost last year — and implement a boxed food delivery program, a system that White House budget director Mick Mulvaney compared to Blue Apron.
    Under the full-scale redesign, the Agriculture Department would use a portion of those benefits to buy and deliver a package of U.S.-grown commodities — officially dubbed “America’s Harvest Box” — to recipients, using the government’s buying power to lower costs.
    The deliveries of government-purchased foods would account for roughly half of the benefits for the vast majority of SNAP households.
    The foods in the deliveries would include shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, and canned meat, fruits and vegetables, according to USDA. The department estimates that it could supply these goods at roughly half the cost of retail, slashing the cost of SNAP while still feeding the hungry.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...t-750pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.f57b736f951f

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Your government since the 1930's has been one the biggest purchasers of domestically grown/raised food products, there's warehouses all over the country full of food USDA buys then sells or give it out to charities and non profits. Think this may be part of what they are trying to do , USDA buys the food anyway so use it in a different manner, my guess.
    https://www.ams.usda.gov/selling-food/

3. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

You do realize that this serves as a solution to a two fold issue. One being the rampant abuse of the SNAP benefit cards. Even locally we have had people arrested and convicted of trading cash for the card credits. Next it addresses the issue of nutrition and for many who are SNAP eligible a way for them to get food without dependency upon others to either do the shopping with the card, which is illegal in upon itself and in getting food stock that better serves nutritional needs vs chips and pop!

Not a bad plan if done correctly. Friends have been using blue plate or similar services for their elderly family members who now can stay in communities they grew up in but lack services such as a grocery store locally. This can be abused as well, but has real merit!

4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I seem to remember that was what the system was back in the 70s, except without delivery. Poor folks lined up for govt cheese and milk and peanut butter.

With the existing program I think everyone has real life examples of abuse that they see all the time. Just yesterday I watched a person in front of me with 3 different ring ups. Paper certificate used to buy milk bread eggs, EBT card used to buy junk food (chips, hot dogs, Mtn dew, twinkies, etc...), and a wad of cash to pay for the cigs and beer. Then out to the parking lot ina newer set of wheels than I am driving. So, yeah, I would like to see some reform.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

Back to government cheese and peanut butter sad when snappers eat better than I do. Gust my humbled opinion from the look of there shopping carts compared to mine

6. Ron Gilmore

coot, my mother worked for the county as a social worker that went in and helped people with disability or other issues with house keeping and such. Most of the people she worked with needed help. Some didn't but worked financials around to game the system. The old program you refer to of food, was a good program but limitations by recipients in traveling to receive it was an obstacle. Mom was prohibited from providing a ride even when she was not working at the home.

So the local VFW put together a ride program to get them to the distribution centers. Being able to deliver the product to the homes would be a huge help as well as increase the options for them in regards to what is sent out.

My cousin suffers from brain damage as a result of having his umbilical cord wrapped around his throat during birthing. He is productive in that he can do some types of work. As a result of this, he receives SNAP and other aid. His limited mental capacity means he has to have help when shopping and using the card which we do weekly. Others where he lives don't have family to help and are dependent upon program services that are inadequate for the demand. It also has given me an opportunity to see how easy the system can be scammed. If I have the card and 4 digit security code anyone can use it. Clerks cannot ask for ID or anything of a person using the card. Tim has been offered cash for use of his SNAP card. $.50 on the dollar. Now if you are a drug user or have other vice habits this is an easy way to get cash.

Next up is the abuse, locally we saw two brothers who ran a ethnic market trade cash for the cards being run through the business. Since the cards don't look at price of the product purchased a prime way was to show a product being purchased but never leaving the store. They got caught when a person they where trading cash for swipes was busted on a drug charge and cut a deal for a lower charge in turn for information.

I think this idea has merit and is worth exploring!

7. Ron Gilmore

One has to remember the purpose of the cards was to cut down on costs for the Gov vs issuing a paper voucher which also was ripe for abuse. It cut down the cost but actually increased abuse. The other factor was to reduce stigmatism for receiving goods and services.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This too can/will be abused. Not arguing it’s bad or good, but all’s you have to do is trade the food for drugs/money. Until you punish the abusers, it’ll continue

9. Ron Gilmore

Steven A I have yet to see a government-run program that can't or won't be abused that isn't the discussion or the direction. This step however will go a long way in eliminating a lot of the current corruption that is taking place I don't know that you're going to have a lot of drug dealers willing to take canned goods and such in trading and kind for drugs at the level that we do now for cash

10. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

How much cost would go into warehousing, packaging and delivering a government tun program? If it is strictly government, think post service efficiency. If it is subbed out to someone like Amazon then you have additional layers that add cost. Might sound good on paper but I am guessing it will cost a lot more to administer.