A boy and his first bushy tail!!!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Pastor, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Couldn't find a small game forum so I'll put it here.

Started out as a teal hunt but wound up looking more like a goose hunt and ended up being a squirrel hunt. Cant kill the geese yet in missouri. He was pleased as punch. Nothing like sneaking around in some timber with your boy by your side praying that the squirrel you just saw sits there long enough to get him a clear shot. Squirrel jumped up on a stump at about 17 yards and posed just right and gave him the time he needed to settle the gun and shoot. Pow!!!! The squirrel does a back flip and hoots and shouts filled the air. High fives and hugs and we were glowing in pride. I'm gonna preserve the hide and we kept the hull. Love this stuff!!!
    20170916_070041.jpg Screenshot_20170917-212958.png Screenshot_20170917-213119.png 20170916_091847.jpg
    20170917_005935.jpg

Constructeur likes this.
  2. Pastor

3. Pastor

Geese seemed to like the old pontoon decoys just fine!!

4. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

Some of my favorite hunting memories are squirrel hunting with a Model 24 Remington when I was about 11 or so. Dad always said shoot them in the eye. Still have the gun as well as the memories.

Pastor likes this.
  5. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Nice! I love me some squirrel hunting. I hunted more tree rats than I did duck last season. It was unseasonably warm, light winds which meant great times to be had shooting squirrels. I almost forgot how much fun it was. Best part is not too many people chase them in my area. My best friend and I had a blast. They are great eating too!

Pastor likes this.
  6. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on your first squirrel,well done, I killed my first around 50ty years ago and its still one of my favorite things to hunt,it teaches hunting skills that will be used during the rest of your life for different game.
    Nothing like it for just being out in the woods and enjoying nature.
    This was yesterday,with a little single shot Winchester .410 my Dad gave me 51 years ago.

Greg
    IMG_20170930_092223_227.jpg

Pastor likes this.
  7. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Greg Nice shooting, question does your 4/10 shoot the 2-1/2 inch shotgun shell? if so I have had no luck here in southern NV finding anything but 3" shells for the new shotguns I also have a very old 4/10 single shot from my grandfather.

8. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

My gun shoots 3'' shells,pretty sure all .410's are chambered for 3'' shells except maybe some double guns or possibly a skeet gun or two.
    I have read many times that the 2 1/2'' shells pattern better than the 3'',but have never shot any.
    I've never seen any 2 1/2'' shells with anything other than 8 or 9 shot in them,they are loaded for skeet shooting.
    But you can take 3'' hulls and cut them down to 2 1/2'' hulls and reload them just fine,I have read where guys put a dowel in the hull to keep them from collapsing and use a tubing cutter to cut them to size.
    Or just get online,should be plenty of options.

Greg

9. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

great idea will have to try that thank you.