Decoy Forum Sponsors

A Couple Of Oldies

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by bustsducks, Sep 18, 2018.

1. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

I saw an ad here locally for some vintage LL Bean Pintails. He also had these and I couldn't resist so I bought a pair along with the Pintails. These came from an old guide that hunted Utah's Bear River Club during the late 50's - 70's. They appear to be black ducks?? But we don't get black ducks around here. They have seen a lot of marsh and bag rub

The head connection looks a lot like LL Beans with the washer and holes for different head positions. Any guess who the maker was and what vintage these would be?

Attached Files:

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I have never seen L L Bean decoys that are that “skinny”, all the one I have seen are wide beam birds. The heads, to me, don’t look quite right. The heads I have seen are quite slinky. They could very well be Bean’s but whoever had them slimed them down.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I sold a mallard for the widow of a friend that had the same head positioning system. No identifying marks as to maker.

4. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Maybe an old Herter's?

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

They remind me of the old Cabelas corkers from 30-40 years ago. There were also some put out by Dunn's in the 80's. IIRC they both had the more narrow body style.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I just had another thought, it very well be those heads are Bean heads. What likely happened is someone’s Bean decoys got destroyed at some point and someone else took the hardware and the heads and put them on another makers bird or he roughed out a bird himself had put the Bean hardware on them. I say again, those are definitely Bean bodies. Natural cork, refrigation cork, or black cord, whatever you call it makes an excellent Black Duck decoy, it is almost the same color of a Black Duck.

7. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

THey are not L L Bean decoys , IMO.
    THe heads look like they're off the Bean decoys, but the bodies are
    no where close.
    My guess would be they were made by a duck hunter,
    who bought the heads.

Ringbill