A couple questions...

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Il. MudDuk, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

It can have its "interesting" moments:

CopyofIMG_1425.jpg

But the dog in that photo survived to compile a lifetime log of well over 10,000 ducks and geese, retire from commercial hunting and be snoozing at my feet.

2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

I have had dogs that get hot easily. That may be just the way she is or she may outgrow it. Are you just throwing hand held retrieves over and over? You need to mix it up a bit and get on a program to make it interesting or get a gunner to throw instead of throwing the same mark over and over.

3. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

I'm suddenly thinking that if that were me and my dog, what whistle I should use would be the last & least of my worries. :yes

Yes and no....I mix it up with a bumper and a goose wing, throw far, throw near, land &/or water.
    My wife, son and daughter also get in the mix by throwing & hiding wings and bumpers ( less so on the "hiding" for now but she does appear to have a great nose).
    Thanks for your input as I did catch myself doing the "same ol thing" for a little while.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

He was working a mark on the far side of that flood canal levee, and the last thing I wanted to do was whistle and stop him before he was on it. Let him pick up his mark and get back up on the levee before sitting and casting him way the hey down the levee before sitting and casting him back across to my side.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  5. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I have a 5 year old BLF, and her 1 year old daughter and they handle the heat differently. They are not all the same. The mom is better with the heat. Your dog should get used to the new whistle over time. I have 2 different whistles on my lanyard and sometimes I just use my mouth whistle. They respond to them all.

Il. MudDuk likes this.