A downgrade but an Upgrade

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Brenttos, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Brenttos

Brenttos New Member

Well I've been on the fence about getting rid of my 15 ram 2500 and getting a smaller truck. I have access to another diesel if push comes to shove and I need one. There are pros and cons for sure. I owe less than 38k (59k new) after 2 years of owning it. Some pros are it's a diesel lol, I can pull anything I need to and it will run for 900k miles give or take. Cons, I got stuck a few times to many this last season and the payment isn't always fun. I'm torn on what I should get if I do trade it in, I don't know if I should get a 1/2 ton or even a Tacoma. I want to get where I need to go and haul my necessities. Looking for some input here.

2. qwk-qwk-b00m

qwk-qwk-b00m Elite Refuge Member

You'll likely hate the neck jarring ride of a smaller truck. The Tacos are not known to get the best gas mileage, same as a 1/2 ton in most cases. Go with a Tundra a few years old and you won't regret it.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

X2 on a tundra, but you will not like the gas mileage. Tacoma will likely not get stuck. My tundra with A/Ts does decent, much better than the F250 with 37" mudders did. It would spin in a drop of spit.

Other than the gas mileage, a tundra is hands down the best 1/2 ton out there.

4. Brenttos

Brenttos New Member

I was also kind of looking at a eco diesel ram 1500 but I don't know anyone who off-roads with one to give me a good idea of what it's capable of.

I'm kind of caught in a situation with a tundra. Long story short my best friend owns one and I've talked so much sh** about one(just because he has one) I don't know if he'd let me ever live it down lol

5. stevena198301

Hahaha! Swallow your pride, accept the ribbing (the quicker you do, the quicker it will get boring, and he'll stop), and buy one. Again, for off road capability, it will be hard to beat a Tacoma in the little truck class. Either will serve you well for years.

6. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

I'd keep the 3/4 ton and get a winch and some mud tires.

7. Brenttos

Brenttos New Member

I have Toyo open country M/T, even with a winch there is no place to hook it up as were in more open field/grass land areas.

8. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

If that bad î might buy an atv. I have a tacoma 2007 and it will go damn near wher ever i point it though.

9. Brenttos

Brenttos New Member

I'm going to go test drive a Tacoma sr5 tomorrow and see what I think about it. I'll prolly also drive a new tundra and see what the hype is all about.

10. stevena198301

It's like a Glock. Know some who hate them. Know some who wish they had another, since trading for Chevy's and Ford's. I still love mine. It's at 252k. Still trying for 400k. We'll see.