A downgrade but an Upgrade

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Brenttos, Mar 20, 2017.

1. heveshot

heveshot New Member

I've owned a full size truck or had access to one thru my work most all of my waterfowling days. Got anew re-imbursement program for vehicles at work and knew it was time to downsize. After a week of GM lots and a lot of headaches I ended up at a Nissan dealer and bought a Frontier SV model 4wd with a crew cab. I know I won't bring the decoys out I did in the full size truck, but you know what, I don't think I want to anymore. So far so good, has heated seats, a few other niceties and I get about 20mpg with a 4 litre 6( mix of city and hwy driving)itshould be just fine there.
    Still debating whether go with a cap, all my past trucks had one, or tonneau or just do a cargo net.

tcc likes this.
  2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

+1 on Frontier. I've got a '15 SV and like it a lot. Best value out there for small trucks. I looked at Tacomas but at 34k new you might as well buy a full size. Paid 27,500 for my Frontier brand new.

3. heveshot

heveshot New Member

Ended up with a Softopper canvas cap that I can collapse, also got the vinyl windows and solid panels for winter, so far so good, picked up the spider cargo net yesterday, looking forward on seeing how much I can safely stack with the cargo net.

4. vizsla2

vizsla2 Refuge Member

A good friend has a taco. It's great for a small truck, but it's a small truck. Gas mileage is not that great. cost is very expensive, but they hold their value really well. If I were to go this route, I'd buy new.
    I have an F150 5.0 (2013) and have been very happy with it. What do I love most about this truck? 36 gallon gas tank. HWY miles, I can get around 700 miles on a full tank. I love feature this when I go offroad and don't have to worry about running out of gas or carrying extra gas.
    I hear great things about Tundras. I think mileage is slightly better in my F150 though and my gas tank is bigger.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I do envy that 36 gallon tank... Mine (Tundra) is 26, and I get approx 360 miles out of one before it says "0" til empty (It reads zero miles left when the tank is at 4 gallons remaining). It def ain't a gas sipper either!

6. HuntTilDusk

HuntTilDusk Refuge Member

I've owned 2 Tacos. last time I almost bought a tundra instead but the taco's have been good to me they will go anywhere I want and pull anything I need to. I used to pull my 18ft excel mud boat with mine and never had an issue. Last year I added an A.R.E. topper to it when I sold my boat. I have a double cab short bed and usually have two car seats in the back seat at all times any thing else I need to have with me I throw in the back. I also hooked up a pulley lift in my garage to take the topper off with ease if I want. Used it once and it was a breeze haven't found a need to use it to much but hey its there if I need it. I only have 40k on mine and its paid for so I will probably ride it til it dies. someone said that they have great resale value which is very true. I sold my first taco for $500 less than I paid for it 3 years before, think I added 25k miles to it or so. Sold it on craigslist, it was a 2007 2.7l regular cab 5 speed. The guy that bought it flew out sight unseen from California to Iowa. I picked him up from the airport, he drove it for an hour dropped me off at home and he drove it back to San Francisco. Weirdest vehicle sale I have ever been apart of.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Pretty good advice, I'd say.
    Considering that you have almost zero equity in your present truck (it's worth very close in trade-in value to what you still owe on it), paying cash for a 10-year old Toyota makes good financial sense.

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. awaldro7

awaldro7 New Member

I offloaded my f150 over a year ago for a 2005 f250. Best decision that I have made in a long time. unloaded over 25k in debt, dropped payment $380. I am kind of in a different situation though as most. I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day so I have to drive an older commuter car due to gas costs. I hated paying big money for a nice truck that only moved on saturday and sunday.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

image.jpg

As of today, with terribly little in maint compared to the F250 I had for 6 months. One exhaust fix on the F250 was more than the radiator and catalytic I e had to replace. Motor still burns no oil. I love my Tundra.

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

FIFY :yes.
    There's rarely such a thing as "equity" in a vehicle; it's a depreciating asset that's losing value by the day in most cases. Cash for a good used truck makes a lot of sense.