A few Canadas with the Sony A6500

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by DEC, Jan 29, 2018.

1. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

It has been a few years since I have shot many bird in flight photos. This past summer I sold all of my Canon bodies and lenses and jumped in with both feet to the Sony platform. I do mainly video work so the A6500 is a power house of a small camera. I bought the 18-105 f/4.0 lens and the 50 f/1.8 lens. Besides some senior photos for my daughter, I have focused on video mainly to date. However, the other day I went on a solo field hunt for honkers and I decided to drag the Sony along. I only brought the 18-105 lens and wish I had brought the prime too. I limited out on birds in the first 30 minutes of daylight, so I grabbed the camera. The skies were very gray and rain was moving in fast, so the light conditions were less than ideal for an f/4.0 lens ... i.e. I could have really used that faster prime lens. Anyway, these were a few out of my first bird in flight photos in several years and the first with the new Sony A6500 and Sony 18-105 f/4.0 lens. ISO for all photos was 1250, shutter speed was 1/800, f/4.0. The AF on this camera and in body stabilization are amazing tools. I run a very flat color profile in camera and then adjust everything to what looks good to my eyes in Lightroom. At the end of the day I was pleased, though the 18-105 lens is always a bit soft to me unless the light is just right. It makes a great video lens though. Next time the prime will be in my camera bag as it cranks out tack sharp images.

The images below are saved down in resolution quite a bit due to the way the hosting site (imgur) displays on message boards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

Derek,
    Nice shots Mate. I have a SONY A6000 and a SONY RX10 Cybershot Mark IV and I love them both.

Mike

DEC likes this.
  3. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Your new Sony is obviously working out well for you, Derek. Those are some nice shots you got.

DEC likes this.