A-frame or layouts?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Jethro48, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

When you guys up there are hunting fields which do you seem to perferr? We are bringing both but hoping to be able to use the A-frames instead of the layouts. Most guys I'm going with are in mid 50s. And half broke down which will make shooting out of layouts a lot harder for them. Obviously depends on how well you can hide in that particular spot. Just wondering how fast birds are picking out the A-frames up there!

2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Best have the right situation for an a frame. Be best to set up near a small slough or low area that has tall grass because out in the wide open flats they are going to pick you out long before they get in range.

BirdJ and Jethro48 like this.
  3. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

That's exactly how it is here. Just wasn't sure if they were less leery up there still. Kinda what i figured

4. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

A-Frame

Jethro48 likes this.
  5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Are you talking about snows orCanada's? Now or in the fall? Big difference.

Jethro48 likes this.
  6. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

I have a corn A frame that I set up right in the field. No problems.

Jethro48 likes this.
  7. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

We
    Are hoping for Canadians and ducks. We are coming up for 10 plus days November 1st thru the 10th.

I've watched a lot of videos of guys getting in them good with A-frames but they're stumbled in good but you never see the bad hunts with them. I've only hunted out of a frames like 2 times. Always hunted layouts or pits mainly. There's 6 of us and 2 dogs going. I thought we were staying in Pingree but turns out house is in Melville on a farm there. I wanted to be further West more. But wasn't my credit card being used. Just hoping to hit it better than my last trip up there in 2016.

8. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

Do you have a picture of yours? I've been thinking about making a couple of them!

9. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

With 6 guys would would need 2 A-frames. You can connect them. With 6 guys the set up is quick, brush it in really good first time and forget it. We also bundle with zip-ties long grass as overhead cover, make the bundles like 2ish inches around of grass and stuff in the upper stubble straps, reuse as needed. The comfort level is off the charts compared to layouts, buckets of camp chairs depend on space and how big of guys are in the A-frame.

Jethro48 likes this.
  10. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Use cattle fencing 48 in tall. Cut into four pieces( mine are 48in long). I use small radiator claps to attach except for one corner. Bungees used to hold stalks. For 2 people I make front and back 6 ft.

JRS and Jethro48 like this.