A good DSLR Camera under 500

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by bigcans, Oct 22, 2017.

1. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

Well, if some if you are into capturing your dog retrieving like me then maybe you could lend some advice on buying a camera. I have had a panasonic waterproof ts1 pocket camera but never liked the photos much.
    Wanted to cut down on the bulk but I can't take pictures worth a darn with what I have so I'm in the market to go back to a traditional reg. Sz DSLR.

I was looking at the Nikon D3300. For under 500.00 I'm sure this will do the job for zooming in a bit. I'm no pro. Just enjoy taking pics of the lab. Have tons of 11x14s on the walls for yes. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I take "a lot" of photos training and hunting. Using a smaller camera was not "cutting it". Years ago, I
    bought a Canon EOS Rebel and use two relatively inexpensive lens (Canon 28-135mm and Tamron
    17-50mm "wide angle") plus a Pelican case. Buy used from B&H camera. Spend a bit more. All the
    photos in my Website were taken with this relatively inexpensive combination. I learned about needing
    the Pelican case.....the hard way. :h

I have a more expensive and better lens, but it does NOT lend itself to the quick, spontaneous, action shots
    required when training or hunting.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801649928-USE/canon_8575b001_eos_rebel_sl1_dslr.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801652407-USE/canon_2562a002_ef_28_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_is.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=used Tamron 17-50&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

https://www.kwicklabsii.com/-cool-photos-.html

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

Stick with Canon. More people shoot them, and you may be able to borrow lenses from friends. That is the case with me anyway.
    The Rebel line of cameras is a good starting point. You can get the kit below for under $500. And I promise it will do more than you can make it do at first. Once you get better, want more options / range, you can add lenses, upgrade bodies, etc.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1135402-REG/canon_9126b069_eos_rebel_t5_dslr.html

4. GusDog

GusDog Elite Refuge Member

5. JBG

JBG Refuge Member

Are you married to a DSLR camera? If not check out the Sony a6000 mirror less camera. Smaller body but takes amazing pictures with very little effort.

6. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

I have a Sony A6000 that I am currently looking to sell. Excellent condition, takes great shots, includes camera body, Sony 16-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for $650. A steal of a deal. PM if interested.

7. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

Teul2 Gus dog and everyone else
    Thank you. Well, Yas all know where to buy that's for sure. Maybe it may have been b & h in 2004 when I bought me the Panasonic dmc fz20 later sold it.

Gus dog that Canon gx9 will be tempting. Being so compact. But tuel2 s rebel with the Xtra lens?....guess I need to decide. Which camera has a better sense? I need to study this stuff. The bug Canon will get rained on but can keep it under my jkt. If I'm out of the blind I'm willing to keep it bulky if the rebel takes better photos. Of course it's the guy behind the gun & camera.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

A good DSLR will do wonderful things in terms of low light speed, but it won't do squat on the shelf where 90-some% of us will end up leaving the inconvenient clunker 90-some% of the time. In the "way back when..." I did magazine work for a living, I put up with the nuisance of toting around the necessary SLR gear to cover my likely needs from 28mm wide to 400mm long - and often wished I could afford a 600 and laborer to haul it for me. But now that my work need only please myself and the friends I share it with and there are pocketable digital "travel zooms" that cover those telephoto possibilities and more, my clunky stuff gathers dust while a remarkable little camera rides unobtrusively in its belt case, where it seldom warrants a thought - until an image I want to save catches my eye.

Just something to consider if it turns out you're not committed enough to the photography portion of your field pursuits to always have that DSLR on hand when a special moment appears.

Irishwhistler likes this.
  9. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

Great advice. With your yrs of experience. I just want to capture 20 to 30 yd action retrieves like I use to. I carry enough stuff to the blind as it is. Probably the only time I'll use the big zoom lense is to capture ducks sitting around.

I'll be giving b & h a call. Thanks. When I lived in Alaska 6 yrs. Our local newspaper Used numorous photos I took of wildlife for the classifieds banner. It was awesome. Seeing caribou from a duck blind?

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been extremely happy with the size vs feature vs photo quality on my Canon SX720HS. It packs/travels well, takes great pics and video.....no complaints. Has replaced a lot of baggage on hunts. JME