A head's up on posts.......

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bigreid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

It looks like we have some new members on the board and some other members have come to me with concerns.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people looking at these posts that are not registered members. All the areas I have hunted over the past 10 years have grown tremendously in numbers of hunters. If you have a spot that is a secret area that you don't want to see get crowded don't post specifics. We all want to help others out in their hunting but we don't want them hunting 80 yards downwind of our spreads.

I think you all know what I am getting at. I do understand that no one comes here to take someone elses spot and those of us that have been here a while are always more than happy to help with most things but just be cautious when giving reports and posting pictures.

If some one wants some or to give some specific help a PM is a great way to go.

2. patrickwellis

patrickwellis Senior Refuge Member

That's why your the moderator!! Well said and i hope that everyone keeps honest this year. Hope everyone is careful and has a great year.

3. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

Like Bigreid said, please don't post photos that give away your hunting spot. Crop the pictures to include only the foreground, unless of course, you prefer lots of company.

As for me I hunt at Secret Lake and Secret River as well as Secret Cove. They are all good hunting spots but like Bigreid said, they are getting more crowded each year.

As for directions to my spots simply turn west on the Alcan Highway, you can't miss it. :sp

4. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

My favorite spot is wouldnchaliketoknow slough!

5. Birdstrike

Birdstrike Senior Refuge Member

Man! Now i'm just going to have to tail you all for the opener. I just moved here and have to start all over finding places to hunt. I new gps coordinates was aking for a bit much, but was hoping for someone to slip up and give me directions to the X. I guess now I'll have to go back to my old method of scouting and trial/error. lol

Hope everyone has a great/safe opener. I'll be at work and won't be out til the 4th or 5th. I'd rather hunt during the week anyways.

6. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Oh yeah Bob - Me likey Lake X as well!!! We hunting it again this year....let me know so I can bring my climbing shoes too!;)
    Bones:dv

7. akjack

akjack Senior Refuge Member

If the places are so secret, how can there be more hunters every year ? Is the Hay flats secret ? LOL

8. DUCKLOGIC

DUCKLOGIC Senior Refuge Member

We ran in to the same problem on the MO forum a while back:mad:

9. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

You guys are funny,some of the new folks just want alittle help which is ok.
    I don't think they are out to steal your hunting spots, but we all now how bad it sucks having some joker muche off a decoy spread that isn't theirs...I hate that.
    I think alot of the folks that get turned off of this site is because of this reason (people who are unwilling to share any info).
    On the other hand the new guys have to relize it takes awhile to get to know and trust folks....hopefully the new guys will frequent the forum and get to know all of us.
    We all need alittle guidance now and then,I have been helped out alot by the ak gang most of us have gotten to know each other and I have done taxidermy work for alot of the guys on here, so in time relationships develop and before you know it you have more local duck knowledge than you ever thought you'd gain.

-northern wings

10. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

When I lived in Illinois I hunted two areas. One was my dad's duck marsh. It was quality hunting but would get slow as the season progressed. Since Dad owned the spot we didn't have to race anyone to the good spots.

As the season progressed we would hunt Carlyle Lake which was a public shoot area. The place was a zoo. The good hunting spots were few even though the walk in area was huge. No overnight decoys. No camping out in the hunt area. We had to get dressed up, waders and all, and sleep in our vehicle. Then at 4 or 4:30 AM the first cars would come over the hill to the parking lot. We then would have to do a mad sprint in waders to outrace other hunters. We would usually be the first to the good fields but we still had other hunters horn in within the 200 yard separation requirement.

Bottom line, too many hunters. The regulations did a pretty good job of keeping the hunt area from becoming a "combat area" like the Russian River or Kenai River fishery with inconsiderate folks deciding that they can encroach so close as to make it miserable for the guy who got there first.

Alaska doesn't have laws like that ---- yet. But those folks who have no qualms about setting up 50 yards away from your spread, or staking claim to a spot by leaving their decoys out all night will be the catalyst for change.

New restrictive laws will come in to force the inconsiderate to be considerate and play fair.

If you don't want new laws, play fair.