A head's up on posts.......

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bigreid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. akjack

akjack Senior Refuge Member

Myself, I hunted the Hay Flats on the open, and did ok. It was the first time I hunted a place that seemed like a war zone at the open. There were only a few sets left overnite and it seemed to be in areas that did not have a lot of hunters, maybe because of access or just being lazy. I'v hunted the interior with hardly any hunter of rather no hunter comp so it was interesting to say the least. I did not feel the left sets were a big deal and in fact I know it took more scouting and prep and work than many are willing to put out. If we want things even for us and the birds, how bout outlawing auto shotguns ??? Bet most would not like that. But, it would increase the birds in a few years like almost nothing else I bet ! :h

2. skybust

skybust Senior Refuge Member

I hunted jim creek and did well on the opener Ive hunted ducks up here for almost 25 years and for the most part after the first two weekends most of the people stop hunting. For those of you who need an area to hunt come to Jim creek one of the problems is most of the time there not enough hunters to keep the birds moving.

3. benellisbe2

benellisbe2 Senior Refuge Member

I'm interested how would outlawing autoloaders help the duck population, you can still only put 3 shells in the autoloaders to be legal. by your logic we should outlaw eveything but single shot breach loaders.

4. skybust

skybust Senior Refuge Member

Dont give the Feds any suggestions they might do it:eek:

5. akjack

You ask about autoloaders ? Well, When they were first used in the early 1900's Waterfowl populations took a quick nosedive and have never recovered. Unless you are very good with a cornshucker, autoloaders make it much eaisier to get in quick shots for most...why do you think they are popular ! You can hear the difference on opening day in the sound of quick rapid almost machine gun fire, along wih all the sky-bus' tin that goes on. Of course you must still lead proper and aim goo too. maybe you have a point about single shots, we know the popularity of bow and arrow and muzzle loaders for big game...make's it more sport' in.....right ! Don't get in a tissy...It will never happen !!!! til it's too late, that is..... are you afraid you are not good enough with a double or pump ? Do you think those Bennalli (sp) guys who can shoot 8 or more clay birds in one go are good shots ? In the old market hunting days, guys could do that on real birds using unplugged extended magazine auto's ! The dwindlings amount of birds left are part of their legacy. Don't think for a secoond it's all habitat like DU puts out.

6. pintailale1

pintailale1 Elite Refuge Member

Who was building an auto loader in the early 1900's?

7. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

Market hunters used punt guns.

8. Kusko

Kusko Senior Refuge Member

Bigreid is right. They used punt guns that were sometimes anchored to the bow of their boats and then they shot at the flock as they were sitting on the water.http://www.refugeforums.com/ubb/eek.gif

Autoloaders are just fine. IMO, 3 shells are 3 shells. I would be willing to bet I'm nearly as fast with my pump than some guys with an autoloader. My 870 Express aka "The Boatpaddle" does just fine. BTW, what's wrong with the bird numbers? There are tons of them out here. :)

9. akjack

is what I meant with the John Browning model. Market hunters used autos up until the 1918 treaty. Yes, Plenty of birds...just about 1/16 of only 90 years ago..........But, AK does have more than some other flyways, and the overall north American population. Most Ak birds are shot in California and Mexico to my knowledge. Yes, I'v hunted the Kusko region.....good place. Don't get too excited, the no auto was meant kind of as a counter to the decoys over nite thing...banning autos will never happen. Even notice how all the TV shows on duck hunting are almost always in corn fields ? That is because putting corn out is illigal, but shoting over standing corn is not ! maybe that should be outlawed....sure would be more birds for us AK hunters that make it back north !

10. benellisbe2

benellisbe2 Senior Refuge Member

aotloaders are very popular right now. and if you look at statistics of duck populations for this year, the only breed that has not gained in numbers is pinetails. i think duck habitat and draught have more to do with the decline of our duck population than autoloaders.