A head's up on posts.......

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bigreid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. akjack

akjack Senior Refuge Member

You must be reading different stats than me...Bluebills down big time (declining since the 1950's) ! the only species holding their own is mallard and that is because of field feeding like snow geese. Cans and Redheads can almost be kissed goodby. :confused:

2. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

Akjack...where are you geting your info....infact some states you can shoot 2 Cans this year which is up from 1 last year.
    This is the point where you really should put your shovel away and quit digging.

-northern wings

3. akjack

From what i've read.....The only ducks holding their own are highly adaptable mallards that like the snow geese thrive only because of corn fields and some other crops. Bluebills have been on the decline since the 50's...Cans and Redheads are way down...etc. Increase Can bag ? Thats INSANE ! Fewer folk are buying hunting licences today, too busy doodling in the digital window to their world ( the computer)...that must be the reason..O well, I'm all for that ! more ducks for us...right ?

4. akjack

Yes, you are right as I was going on 2004 stats from memory...Long term averages are UP for many species 50% for Cans ! But, this is only long term averages since 1955. Bluebills for example were decimated in the 50's and this is well known and have never recovered to any great extent and are currently falling. What we are seeing is a poliferation of farm mallard production for sportin ranches and clubs in the lower 48....We will see what happens in the next few years due to Global warming...hopeing for good news ! One theory i have is that a lot of marginal boreal forest country like in the interior will get more water from melting permafrost and produce more ducks...probably not happen, but we can hope. With fewer folk hunting maybe the birds can stage a comeback pre 1955 levels.. weeee !:sp :sp

5. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

The geo physics dudes think the opposite will happen. Permafrost is much like a layer of clay and helps the small ponds keep their water levels up. Once the depth to permafrost gets deeper then the groundwater table follows it down. Soon the ponds will be just wet soil and then dry grassy meadows.

They did a mapping project on the Kenai and found that many ponds from decades ago when the first aerial photos were taken are now meadows.

6. akjack

But there could be other factors involved,,,,I'm probably wrong...just wishful thinking....if they are right, it spells the doom for waterfowl in much of Alaska !