A little help???

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by duckmann, Dec 11, 2012.

1. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

I've been an avid reader all my life. I have an 8 year old grandson that lives 3 hours away. He has become a pretty good reader but lives the life of a gamer/computer fanatic. Dad is a computer geek who likes to fish, went duckhunting with me once just as an observer, is not opposed to outdoor pursuits but passes none on to the boy. He fishes with me when he is at my house and has read what books his school library has about game animals and hunting. I'm looking for some book suggestions for Christmas to whet his appetite. It's been a long time since I was 8 so the only book that sticks in my memory from that time frame that would be at about the right reading level is "Where the Red Fern Grows." Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

When I was younger, I liked to read Jack London books--The Call of the Wild, White Fang...

Also, it is not outdoor related, but it is action packed 'war' type books...for kids because all the characters are animals. I loved these when I was in middle school...check out the Redwall series. I read a ton of them back then...

3. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Ever read "Grebes In The Mist"? :l

4. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, but my favorite is The Grebe Mile. I think they even made a movie of it a while back.

5. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

I bet you cried when Mr Jingles got squashed.:dv:dv

6. Rob.

Rob. New Member

the my side of the mountain trilogy

7. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

If he likes your stories and likes to look at fish/game stuff, get him a subscription to Eastmans, Bowhunter, Outdoor Life, etc.

I loved those when I was a kid, along with the backpage stories. All thru my childhood I dreamt of buck,Bulls,ducks,fish, and now I'm 46 and have accomplished a few trips/hunts of what I've only dreamt about as a kid.

8. honga

honga Senior Refuge Member

I read a bunch of books by Jim Kelgard (sp) when I was young. "Big Red" was the first and there were several others. They were great stories about a boy and his bird dog and the boy's eventual life as a Game Warden.

Also a book "Where the Red Ferns Grow" a great outdoor story for youngsters.

9. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator Moderator

The Thief of Always, by Clive Barker is excellent for his age.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thief-Always-Clive-Barker/dp/1600107133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430719849&sr=8-1&keywords=thief+always"]Thief of Always: Clive Barker, Chris Ryall, Alex Garner: 9781600107139: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nM3pH41VL.@@AMEPARAM@@51nM3pH41VL[/ame]

10. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

"The Old Man and The Boy" by Robert Ruark. May be a little much for an 8 yr old but by 10 should be great.
    Amazon has a lot of hunting books for kids.